Urgent axolotl not eating

juwuls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone give advice my axol has not eaten in 2 WEEKS exactly to the day he seems active enough moving around all the time also doesnt seem to have lost any weight but he doesnt focus on us or follow us when we put our hands up to the tank which he used to its like hes in another world has this happened to anyone else. the guy we got him from last year did mention that a certain time of year he doesnt eat for a while and not to worry he does go back to his food but 2weeks i feel is a long time:confused:

Hi. This soudnds like your axoltl is stressed, or "in the mood" :p

The frantic swimming and refusal to eat sounds like stress, however axolotls aslo do this for periods of time when they want to reproduce. Mine do evry so often during the year. The fact you said it happens on a regular basis makes me think he/she is just frisky and should return to normal.

It could however, be something more serious and you should make sure just in case. It takes a long time for an axolotl to starve to death because they lose weight very slowly. Two weeks in the long run will not make much of a difference like you have noticed in his weight, so do not panic. But it is an indicator that something is up. Has anything changed recently like tempurature or water perameters? DId he eat any new foods. Is he in with any other axolotls? Is the tank in direct sunlight?

I would suggest getting a fresh water master test kit and testing all of the water peramiters. They will give you a good indicator of what water quality is like, and it is bad you can fix it.

In the meantime, whether he be stresses or just frisky, keep offering food calmy like you have been doing. Maybe try a new type of food, something really tasty like a bit of meat. Its only a sometimes food but it may tempt him to start eating again.

thanks so much for your reply will try all of the things you suggested, i will let you know how he gets on

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back