Petco $1/gallon starts today, 55 or 40 for axolotls?

Martin21114

Reaction score
Country
United States
Petco's awesome $1/gallon tank sale starts today. I'm either getting a 55 or 40 gallon tank. Could 6 axolotls live in a 55 or 40 gallon tank if it has plenty of hides and plants?

Is this at all petco stores? I can't find anything about it on the website...:confused:

it should be nationwide, but it is not on their website, try calling your local store.

Petco's awesome $1/gallon tank sale starts today. I'm either getting a 55 or 40 gallon tank. Could 6 axolotls live in a 55 or 40 gallon tank if it has plenty of hides and plants?

I would go for the 40 if it is a long over the 55 since you gain no length, maybe a little depth, but you definantly gain height wich is not needed for axolotl. 40 breeders are nice if you cant do a 4 ft tank, but are 36 or 38 inches not 48 long, I like the length for the axolotls.

Use the 15 to buy PVC hides.

6 adults at 10 plus inches is cramping the tank by most everyone's standards. While they may in fact get along and not bite each other you will have a second part time job staying on top of water quality unless you can get enough media in filters and in the tank to promote a stable cycled environment.

If you are putting 6 juvies in this tank they would be fine.

This is just my opinion you will get others of varying likeness or unlikeness.

Good luck

40 breeder is best for axos. It gives them a much bigger footprint. They don't need all that height!

Remember, basic rule is 10 gallons for each adult axo. 6 juvies would be ok, but they won't stay juvies forever!

Thanks, I ended up getting a 40 gallon breeder. I'm going to keep my 2 axie groups seperate (3 gfp, 3 non-gfp), so it looks like I'll only have 3 adults in it.

Not all petco stores follow the same guidelines for these sales. I used to work at a petco in MA and when we had the 1$ per gallon sale it topped off at 30gallons. Anything higher was 15% off instead. So just call your local petco to see if the sale is going on, and what their restrictions are. It's a great sale if you want a smaller tank tho, I got a 20 long for 20$ plus tax when I worked there, just because I was sure someday I would have something to put in it... since then it's hosted all sorts of creatures until it finally broke. Oh well. Another note on the Petco website, the prices do not reflect the stores. The online prices can be WAY different and online sales are also usually different from in-store sales. that's all. :)

It started today for us. Got me a new 40 gallon breeder for the axolotls

Too bad the closest PetCo is 250 miles away... If hubby hadn't taken the truck, it'd be almost be worth it to go fill it up with tanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back