Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies - slow development?

AxieMum

Reaction score
Hi all,
These are my little babies at 6 weeks; are they a bit slow in development? They have no back legs, but their front legs are fully formed, and they're still so very tiny. See attached pics. Also, leucistic or wildtype.....?

Attachments

• babies 6 weeks.jpg
    babies 6 weeks.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 385
  • babies 6 weeks2.jpg
    babies 6 weeks2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 357
  • babies 6 weeks 3.jpg
    babies 6 weeks 3.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 279

AxieMum

Reaction score
Oh and I'd say they are about 25-30mm long, that's about an inch to our American friends :happy:

yellowpebble

Reaction score
Hi! They look leucistic to me.

Are the all developing at the same rate or are some struggling behind? I find there are always a few that stay midgets. If they are all growing at the same speed, they are fine. Mine always seem to take longer than normal too. Tempurature is meant to be the factor that makes them go faster or slower. The cooler the water, the slower they grow, however it is meant to be healthier for them that way. Just make sure they are getting enough to eat and are kept clean and they will be big in no time!

they are so cute and fat

cjonard

Reaction score
Ha! I am so glad for this post because I was JUST about to post the same exact thing. I have 3 that have front legs, big pink bellies and seem to be happy, but no back legs yet! I was thinking there is something wrong. I keep the water at about 15C currently (they are sitting on a AC vent) and I change the water daily--partial every day and about every third day I do a complete. Perhaps that is stressing them? They are on a BBS diet with live blackworms thrown in every 2 days or so. Not to hijack the thread--I am just happy to hear slow development is good. Or at least not bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1