Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Conflicting info on tank size

PoPiPanda

Reaction score
I'm going to college in the fall, and I plan on getting at least one axie as a little companion, seeing as how my home (and pets!) are pretty far off. I was thinking of keeping two, so they wouldn't be lonesome. It's always fun to see two animals interacting, too. However, the largest tank you can keep in the dorms is a 10gal. Some sites have said that 10gal is plenty of room for two full-grown axolotls, but others have said that it's barely enough for one. I was hoping I could get a clear answer here, maybe even with anectdotal evidence?

iChris

Reaction score
I would only keep one axie in 10 gallons, a tank that size is already kinda cramped for a axie as it is.

axies also don't need companionship, they sometimes can get snappy to tankmates which results in missing limbs. this problem would be further worsened by the size of the tank as they won't be able to get away from each other.

PoPiPanda

Reaction score
I would only keep one axie in 10 gallons, a tank that size is already kinda cramped for a axie as it is.

axies also don't need companionship, they sometimes can get snappy to tankmates which results in missing limbs. this problem would be further worsened by the size of the tank as they won't be able to get away from each other.

Okay, thanks for the info! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1