Hello

trkyhntr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I'm new here. I joined this forum to learn more about our 2 salamanders. We have one Spotted and one Tiger salamander. They each have their own 10 gallon tank. We also have a pond in our yard that attracts frogs and toads for up close viewing.
We live in North Central Illinois so our pond freezes in the winter.
My first question:
Do salamanders hibernate in captivity?
Any help would be appreciated

Hi and welcome to the forum! Salamanders technically brumate rather than hibernate. Brumation is state of cold-period dormancy or reduced activity in cold-blooded animals. Unless it is reasonably cold, they will not brumate and will maintain their typical activities.

As you are new here, you will want to check out these two articles from our Caudata Culture area...they may answer many questions you will have:

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Please feel free to post on the forum if you have questions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back