Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

High heat sent fire into hiding

Brian M

Reaction score
So this week we received record heat on Wednesday and Thursday with highs in the mid to high nineties. I noticed that my female fire ( S.s. terrestris ) wasn't using her usually hide so I checked her other fav spots....no sal. Now I know that they are best kept at 68 degrees or less with low 70's being okay for more southern species. Her tank is in our basement and never reaches temps over 73 degrees and has a sprayer set to a timer which goes off multiple times per day.
So I took out all the cork and tree fern hides dug up all the plants...still no salamander. Next I changed out the tree fern substrate and checked under the screen separating the substrate and clay underneath.... still no salamander. I had to leave for the beach with my 2 year old who up to that time had been fantastic watching her dad rip apart his pride and joy looking for as she says sallieee. I felt like I had lost a dear friend. After the beach I spent better then two hours looking under every couch, chair, heater no luck.
On one of the tree fern stumps in my setup I have a potted tropical pitcher plant fit into the stump. The stump is better then a foot tall by ten inches wide quite a vertical climb yet no match for my girl. She fit thru a tiny hole under the pot to a chamber in the tree fern that a red-backed salamander would of had to struggle to fit in yet there she was. The weather has cooled down a bit and she's back to her usual digs but she gave me one hell of a scare that day.Just thought I would share that little brain fart moment with the rest of you.

Brian M

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the terra cotta pot with a small hole just under it in the tree fern stump. That's the access hole she used to get underneath and disappear on me. Also took a couple of shots of the whole setup which is coming together nicely. In all it's been setup like this for four months. A few more months and the tropical sheet moss will really take hold and give a nice naturalistic appearance to the whole setup. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340726149.016080.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340726169.225276.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340726194.441784.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1340726230.529053.jpg

I think the more naturalistic you can make the animals digs the better their quality of life. Who would want to live under a piece of cork bark on wet paper towel for thirty plus years, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1