Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mexican Tap

imzunicorn

Reaction score
I'm bringing my sister and her daughters an axolotl as a gift. They live in Jalisco, I believe on a ranch. Therefore, she wouldn't have much if any resources for conditioning the water.

Now, my mom has had a goldfish for a few years now and she doesn't treat the water before adding it. She lives in a city and she just uses straight tap, her friend who has had 3 goldfish for several years does the same. I think if it's safe for other fish, it would be safe for an axolotl.

I'm just not really sure about this because I (like many people) was under the impression that Mexican tap was unsafe because it wasn't cleaned. Which in my mind, would be like lake or river water. After reading some articles about it, I guess the tap is just as safe as American tap, just that you have to get used to it because it's foreign, i.e. it has foreign bacteria. I also read that it's not a matter of harmful chemicals, it's a matter of interference with bacteria in the water. I really don't know what to make of this. It's like conflicting info, clean water would mean it was cleaned with chlorine, but at the same time, they say the chemicals aren't the issue.

I was going to acclimate the axolotl to the water anyway by bringing some of my own water and slowly adding Mexican water. I just would like to know more about how other aquarist and axolotl hobbiest treat the tap if you do at all.

Martin21114

Reaction score
Leave the tap water out in an open container for 24 hours and the chlorine will evaporate.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Are you planning to take the axolotls from U.S. to Mexico? You can't do that without a permit.

imzunicorn

Reaction score
Well, I just got back from the trip. I did bring it from US to Mexico. They didn't say anything. Not only did I show them the axolotl, I had my dog right next to me and they didn't ask about her either.

Also, found out the water actually has a lot of chlorine in it. My mom actually doesn't use tap water for her fish, she uses bottled water. She also says she thinks there's other things in the tap that they don't tell us so she just doesn't trust it at all.

I was under the impression that some members were Mexican, I thought I saw some Mexican flags, but guess not.

memojo1979

Reaction score
Moving axolotls to different countries, without a permit, is actually illegal, I think. They are protected by CITES, so there should be strict control over their movement.
Sounds like the guys on the border weren't doing their jobs properly :eek:
Can't help you with the tap water, I'm afraid. But, you can buy water conditioner online, if that helps :happy:

imzunicorn

Reaction score
To be honest, the idea that I needed a permit didn't even cross my mind. You can pretty much take anything you want across the Mexican border from America. If you're an American or "gringo" crossing into Mexico, you may be asked a few questions. Since I look very white, I always get asked these questions. How much money you have; you have to claim if you have 10 thousand dollars. The reasoning must be because they expect you to be buying drugs, bringing in money to the cartel from selling drugs, or are paid off to smuggle immigrants. Where you're from; to make sure your story doesn't sound too fishy. Where you're going; if you're smuggling immigrants and how aware you are of the checkpoints.

Besides, a lot of things that are relevant in "white" Americas and Europe and whatnot, doesn't really apply in much of Latin America. Stuff like copyright infringement, environmental reservation, even equality of the sexes doesn't apply much. Most of Latin America is very old fashioned, my mom doesn't know how to use a computer and my sister didn't even have one. I don't think they even understand how to buy things online.

They were asking me these questions and then let me go. Before I went, I was like, "I have this, an axolotl," and pointed to it. The guy was like, "What is it?" I said, "It's like a tadpole version of a salamander, but it stays like that all it's life and doesn't turn into a salamander." He said, "Oh, cool." Then he showed one of his coworkers and told me I could go. I think he was trying to rush me because there was a bit of a line.

After you cross into Mexico, there's a light you go through where they'll do random inspections and pretty much ask the same questions. If it's green, you can cross. If it's red, you have to get inspected. I was actually stopped here too. Showed this guy too. The more educated Spanish speakers always seem to know what "ajolote" are and when I showed him, he didn't care.

The goldfish my mom owns are actually American bought goldfish also. Anyway, I just told them to use whatever water they use of the goldfish. It's been nearly a week since I've been home and haven't heard any bad news about the axolotl so I assume it's doing just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1