Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salt Water in Axolotl Tank?

Sky Diamond

Reaction score
Well my axolotl got white spot from tetras I put in there about three weeks ago. I've treated it twice before as it came back on him and once more it's back again.

I have him in a smaller tank to treat him, as his other tank got some kind of worm in it and I haven't had time to get it back up and running, and I've been told to not just treat him, but also the water, with a teaspoon of salt in the tank, by someone on here.

The tank is 21 litres and I was wondering what things should I look out for if it upsets him or if this is dangerous to my axie? I cannot fridge him due to our fridge having a habit of freezing things overnight or within a few hours - just thought I'd mention that to save everyone's time. Any help would be great.

Thank you.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure it's white spot (ich) and not some aspect of this animal's coloration?

Whatever the worm was in his old tank, it was probably harmless. See:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Algae, Snails, Worms and Other Critters
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Invaders: Photographs

If fridging isn't practical, are there any other ways of bringing the temperature down to a lesser extent? See
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

You were told to use 1 teaspoon of salt per what volume of water? A small amount of salt (up to 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons of water) can be added to the whole tank. If you are doing a salt bath treatment for just a few minutes, you should use a higher concentration. See
Caudata Culture Articles - Salt Solutions in Treating Salamanders

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!