New Axolotl, Bloated?

Zenna

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
~Ally<3
Heyy guys, I found a new axolotl in the pet store. Im going to get it, Because they are close to impossible to get here! And it's a beautiful leucistic :) But the only problem is, Its a bit bloated! Im not sure what from, maybe it was eating sand? Or im not sure. Is there any way I can help it? I took some pictures. I would have taken better pictures but i had to take them through the pet store tank.

Attachments

• IMG192.jpg
    IMG192.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 564
  • IMG193.jpg
    IMG193.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 666
From the pictures it looks fine to me. If you get the chance, take a few more pics so we vcan admire her :happy:

Yeah its more noticable from the side, Unfortunatly she wouldnt turn that way for me. I'm going to buy her tomorrow morning though, So When I get her and get her settled in her own tank/container or whatever I'll take more pictures so you guys can see what im talking about better :)

So 4 months later I FINALLY found out what squiggles is bloated with, It is the sand from the pet store tank, I came home and found a few pieces in his poop, Which is a good thing I think, But it's also bad because he swallowed a large amount of it.

You know what I find amazing, that the pet shop actually had them on sand! You're very lucky!

Is it sand? Looks more like very fine gravel to me, but I wasn't there! :rolleyes: The same thing happened to one of my babies. Brought her home, saw she was bloated, worried myself sick and then poof! Shop gravel everywhere..Glad he's doing ok though!

Yeah I dont see the need for fridging If he's passing the sand on his own :) And yeah it looks like fine gravel, But im not sure, It's actually a very good pet store, She keeps them on sand, And tells people "Feed them every second day, And DONT keep them on gravel, Keep them on sand or bare-bottom" and she explains why not to and yeah :) it's a very good pet store. she actually cares for her animals.

He is a looker. :happy: I am glad he is pulling through.

Haha Yeah My lil Fatty's getting bigger nao :) Got super nice big red gills, all happy and finally pooping out the gravel! I'm so glad about that ^-^

Means I must be doing SOMETHING right! :p

So.. I found something else my poor baby swallowed that caused the bloating :( Today I went to go clean the tank, and i found this rock, it came from the pet store, Because I dont have rocks like that. Thank god its finally out though. I really hope he didnt swallow anymore!

Attachments

• DSCF8520.jpg
    DSCF8520.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 463
Glad it came out okay!

It's phenomenal the size of things they can swallow, and how long it can take them to get them back up.

Yeah i know, I showed my parents, all they could say was "Ow.."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back