Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Your Axolotl's Personality

DeniseD

Reaction score
Our little ones have recently undergone a personality transplant for no reason and it just got me wondering, what kind of personalities do all of your axies have? People ask me "what is the point in them, they don't really do anything" but it's so far from true and you only understand that when you own one!

Flacor is an out and out creep, he creeps behinds plants, behind rocks, behind his tank mate, and I'll always seem him peeping out watching what's going on.
Toothless is a cuddler and will always roam the tank searching for Falcor so she can bury into him, it's adorable!

The Dark Knight lives seperate to them and since being fridged for a fungal issue, he now follows us everywhere? Anywhere we go around his tank, he'll be there with a little "hand" on the glass looking for attention :rolleyes:

So what kind of characters do yours have?

jessicaanne

Reaction score
Where do I start :lol:

My little boy Tequila is such an attention seeking brat and like yours he follows you wherever you move and also sits upright while holding the glass just to make my family & friends say "awwww". He's a fatso because even if I'm doing water changes, he'll come straight to the surface and beg for food :rolleyes:

My wild type Corona is still pretty shy and keeps to his/her self so I think it still needs time to develop a personality. I must also mention that the poor thing gets stalked by Tequila but that's probably because he's in the mood to help create eggs and wants to try his luck on a daily basis :nono:

IamTheBear

Reaction score
Only having my Darwin (Daphne if it turns out to be a girl) for a week i'm still judging character
I know for sure he likes to hide. He's gonna be really mad when that little nook in the log gets to small for him. One thing i have noticed is that is that he only comes out when he is hungry.
After being feed it's back to hiding. Hoping it learns the big hand is your friend. Just to fun to watch him walk around the tank. wanna see more of him and hope i get a good personality outta him.

Morrison

Reaction score
Xotl is an interesting axie. He wants so much attention when I'm in the room. He walks to the front of the tank to 'greet' me. When I'm looking down he swims up to the water surface, waiting for my finger so he can nibble it. When I'm on the other side of my (small) room en when I move I see him react immediately and turns his face to where 'that moving person' is.

Pangifrane is a lazy leg snapping axie.

Spotl is also a lazy axie. Doesn't want as much attention as Xotl, but likes to nibble fingers and she doesn't want to let go when she has it.

Goldilocks is a bit boring, but in the evening he's discovering his tank. When I redecorate my tank he gets totally excited.

Nameless leucistic (name suggestions, unisex and cute please) is a shy guy/girl and likes to hide a lot. It's a miracle when I see him/her. But an axie with gorgeous gills. S/he was an axie that came out of my first batch.

I have some juvies that like to nibble fingers too.

I rescued an axie from a pet store but I don't have him/her that long to know what personality it has. S/he is a picky eater. (Maybe because they just didn't feed her at the pet store, those bastards....)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1