Baby axolotl swimming frantically

Justine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I got an axolotl for the first time over a month ago. The breeder gave it to me before it had arms and legs but its been no bother to take care of, its grown quickly and is now a miniature adult, enjoying chopped up worms and frozen bloodworms. I got in from work today however and changed some of its water (with water if left out for 24 hrs to evaporate the chlorine) and it has been frantically swimming and its gills fluctuations have been more frequent. It almost looks like something irritates it and it swims quickly, then slows, then it swims again.
Is this the water? I took it out of the tank and slowly immersed it in a bowl of chlorine free cooler water, and its more chilled out now. I don't see what irritated the little critter in the water though - could it just have been disturbed?

Thanks,
Justine

It might have just been disturbed. What fraction of the water did you change? Chlorine doesn't really dissipate as quickly as people think. I'd recommend using a dechlorinating solution, in addition to aging the water. Is it behaving normally now?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back