Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatching babies ?

madink

Reaction score
My eggs are 20 days old. They are wiggling away furiously (I've just spent an hour watching them :) ) so my question is - are they about to hatch? Do they eat the egg yolk when they have hatched OR the 24 hrs before they break free?

Very anxious, it has been A LONG TIME coming. I can see tiny gills, eyes & little bellies.

madink

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340848928.718280.jpg Here's a picture - bit blurry sorry

Aidan

Reaction score
What temp is the water, you can sliced the open yourself with your fingernail, but that's your decision, I leave the to hatch, when they do they don't need fed between 24-48 hours due to the egg yolk being absorbed thought there skin and also the mouths haven't fully develope so try around 32 hours?

Also have some brineshrimp ready for them, unlike me which had to use the final resort

madink

Reaction score
Thanks Aiden :D no I don't think I want to open them - to small. Going to set my food up today & hope someone breaks out of their egg :D

Aidan

Reaction score
Congrats lol, yes make sure the food is all set up, once you filter the brine shrimp and put in for feeding (make sure it's a small container) they will evade it then realise its a kill :D

Martin21114

Reaction score
How are your tweakers, any new dinks hatch? I'm raising some juvenile sI jatched from Zaria's eggs. I can't wait for my axies to breed :D

Have fun with your babies and take good care of 'em!

madink

Reaction score
:p they are popping out all over the place lol. My bbs hatched & the babies are having their 1st meal - well I think they are? I have to get a magnifying glass cause I can't see them

Martin21114

Reaction score
look for a little spot of orange in the larvae's belly. That's how you can tell it's full of brine shrimp :grin:

madink

Reaction score
Well I've been sitting for an hour but I can't see any sign of them eating. I swished the water a couple of times but I can't see any that look "full"

Martin21114

Reaction score

Looks good. I used to feed and change the water in mine 2x/day. I'd add brine shrimp in the morning before work and depending on how they looked when i got home I either changed the water and added more brine shrimp, or left them until the morning and cleaned them then. I tried to make sure they always had food and clean water around the clock. I didn't always see mine eat either, but after a couple days or 24 hour access to baby shrimp they had orange bellies.

madink

Reaction score
Thanks Martin, that sounds like a better idea ;) maybe I didn't flood them with enough food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1