Type of Sand I should Use?

aleceast

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to get my tank set up for my Axie and I came across a glow in the dark sand I was thinking about using. It's not meant to be used in water specifically but I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to use reptile terrarium sand. An employee at PetCo told me that the sand MIGHT not be able to settle as well at the bottom of the tank. If anyone has tried it out before let me know!

Also I was thinking about just using flat rocks at the bottom of the tank instead of sand. It seems less messy and easier to clean but since I don't know much I would like to get more insight on the pros and cons of both.
Thank you!
-Alec

I was thinking about just using flat rocks at the bottom of the tank instead of sand. It seems less messy and easier to clean

I haven't had experience with rock substrate but if it's what I'm thinking of, they're pretty difficult to clean because gunk gets in the little cracks which will make your job harder because you'll have to shift them all around! However if you mean something more like slate that is 'tile flat' then by all means go ahead because it gives the axolotl something to grip to as opposed to bare bottom and maintenance shouldn't be too bad.

I have sand and I don't find it that bad to clean but it's up to the individual to see what works :happy:

i dont know if glow in the dark sand would be good for your axi. be very careful adding odd chemicals to your tank.
i would recommend just buying normal sand (or a color) but axis are nocturnal and glow in the dark sand has to potential to agitate them.

rocks are good just make sure they are large and clean

Thank you for your answers!! They helped a lot. I didn't even think about how glow in the dark sand would affect its sleeping pattern. After thinking it through, a slate type of rock would be great to use but sand seems the best option seeing as how I would want to put plants in the tank as well and I would need something to burry them in.
Thanks again.

you know, you could do one of two things!

1:
Put a good amount of sand where you want the plants and a thin layer across the rest and put the slate on there

or
you could take some sort of small plastic or glass container and use it as a pot, where you would put a layer of sand (or any suitable aquatic substrate) then would take some aquarium safe silicon and create a ring thingy to keep the substrate in the "pot" but still allow the plant to grow!

The second option is a little more work but both would be fun!

Thank you!! Ill definitely try those options out to see what will work best. :)

I'm trying to get my tank set up for my Axie and I came across a glow in the dark sand I was thinking about using. It's not meant to be used in water specifically but I was wondering how much of a difference it would make to use reptile terrarium sand. An employee at PetCo told me that the sand MIGHT not be able to settle as well at the bottom of the tank. If anyone has tried it out before let me know!

Also I was thinking about just using flat rocks at the bottom of the tank instead of sand. It seems less messy and easier to clean but since I don't know much I would like to get more insight on the pros and cons of both.
Thank you!
-Alec

Please have a look at this article that discusses appropriate types of sand to use (and not to use) and other aquatic substrate options: Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back