Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: URGENT: Lock-Jaw axolotl?

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
My axolotls Cthulu is not eating. She acts like she is very hungry, and even tries to snap at her food. She just won't open her mouth! Its like she has lockjaw. She also has been having this problem for about a half a week. About a week ago, i noticed that she was not as energetic grabbing and whipping her worms about. I was wondering if anyone has ever encountered a problem like this and maybe someone can tell me if i should force feed her or not. She has a tank mate and he has no problems currently. And water perameters are fine as well.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from not seeming to be able to open her mouth, does any thing else seem different with her jaw? Is it possible she has anything stuck in her mouth?

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
It does not seem like it. Her mouth seems to be completely closed. Do u think it would be safe to try to pry open her mouth? I only put urgent in the message because overnight, shr took a turn for the worse and she seems very week and her colors look all pale

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
So I tried to force feed her yesterday night. This IS my first time force feeding an axolotl, so I don't know if I'm doing it quite right. But it is impossible to get a rubber spatula in her mouth! Is it usually so difficult to pry an axolotls mouth open? She is a GFP leucistic, so she has a real light color to her, but after (what at least seemed like) a few seconds of trying to pry it into her mouth, she would start to get all red and vainy that I freaked out and set her back in the water.

By the way, I had a friend try to help me too so I wasn't doing this two person proceedure alone. And I was just using the instructions from the "How to Force Feed an Adult Axolotl" thread.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1