Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Black Lights on GFPs

TwistedWindSox

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking into getting a GFP Axolotl and read that you shouldn't leave black lights on all the time on them. What would be an acceptable amount of time I could leave a black light on without stressing them out. (Could I leave it on all night?)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m sure others will disagree, but i would say no amount of time is acceptable.
Taking an animal that originally comes from a deep lake with heavily sedimented water, and lighting it from the inside just for your amussement is unjustified to me....
From what i gather, this causes distress (which is unsurprising) and the "benefits" to the owner are as marginal as anything could be so i fail to see how it can be morally justified.

Martin21114

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone else, but in my experience, do not get or use one. I got 3 gfp axolotls and bought a black light just to see them glow. The instant I turned it on 2 of the 3 absolutely hated it and started freaking out. The instant I turned it off they went back to normal. I never turned it on again.

INSTEAD, try a blue LED. All 3 of my gfp glow under a simple blue led, and it doesn't freak them out when I shine it on them.

Polarize

Reaction score
I agreed with the blue LED lights. I haven't tried it out myself personally, but I've heard that they do work too. And its probably better for the axies anyways since blacklights are after all UV light, which can have some slight safety concerns.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I'd opt for full spectrum or day light lights. Their is a natural uv component to them that brings out the color of the gfp some. Axolotls will get used to normal aquarium light. Their has been some anecdotal info that u.v. light is bad for them but I have not seen scientific proof. I like the tint of light green of the leucistic, gold, and white albino gfp and the emerald green eyes and slight light green of wild type and melanoid gfp. These colors will come out under a day light bulb.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!