Cloudy eye

jay_coward

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jay
Hey guys, its been a while since I owned and axie but I bought one today. I didn't notice until I got home that his right eye looks clouded over. Does anyone know what it is or how to fix it. I'm guessing he can't see out of that eye at the moment. Other then that he is in perfect health. I don't know if this info helps but the pet shop was feeding him meal worms. I took him home with bloodworms instead although I havn't fed him today cause he's already eaten. So, cloudy eye, anyone know what could be going on?

Thankyou all in advance :D

It could either be an eye infection caused by a scratch or maybe it's just blind in one eye? I know it's probably going to be reaaaaally difficult because mine doesn't stay still long enough, but could you possibly get a photo of both eyes for comparison? If it seems content then I wouldn't worry too much, obviously just keep a look out for any bigger problems that may arise :happy:

The following thread is for newts but I'm sure it could help you with the problem your axolotl has (eyes are the same after all!)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f47-newt-salamander-help/52787-cynops-orientalis-eye-affliction.html

Thanks for the answer. He does sit still for me but my camera is really bad. Just by looking at it you can tell the difference. He doesn't seem bothered or irrititated by it so I'll keep a close eye on it. If I had to guess I'd say he could just be blind because it doesn't look like fungi is covering it which is what I first thougth. Thank you for the reply.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back