Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

First post-some basic questions

Dragonteen

Reaction score
hi everyone! this is my first post here! yay XD!
anyway...
i have had an Axolotl before, when i was thirteen (3 years ago) but i think i was too young for the responsibility becuase i didn't look after her very well. but now that i'm older i am having another go, which i know will go better than the last.
so i just want to know some basic stuff to make sure i keep this axolotl in better shape.
1. what is best to have on the bottom of the tank? big rocks? grevel?
2. what's the best thing to feed them? i fed my last one meal worms, but aparently that's not a good choice.
3.do they need a light above thier tank?
4. and where's the best place to get them? i have noticed our pet shop seems to sell sick axolotls (with white spot and other things like that)

and any other hits or tips would be apreciated

nina89

Reaction score
1. sand or extremely fine gravel (1-2mm), slate or bare bottom are the norm. If you are going to use rocks or pebbles just make sure they are reasonably larger then the axolotls head because they may be swallowed or get lodged in their mouths.
2. Earthworms are most nutritious, axolotl pellets and bloodworms are most popular but there are many others to choose from. mealworms are okay for an occassional snack just rip the head off(some people dont believe its neccessary but i do it just in case)
3. they have no eyelids so they are verysensitive to light little to no light is what your aiming for. so be carefull not to purchase plants that need alot of light.
4. try the for sale section on this forum.

I really hope this helps you.
Regards,
Nina.

Dragonteen

Reaction score
thank you!
this may seem like a dumb question, but wouldn't sand float around in the tank unless it's been comacted or something? and where is the best place to get earthworms? do pet shops sell them? i can get ones from the garden easly, but i have heard they can carry diese

Martin21114

Reaction score
thank you!
this may seem like a dumb question, but wouldn't sand float around in the tank unless it's been comacted or something? and where is the best place to get earthworms? do pet shops sell them? i can get ones from the garden easly, but i have heard they can carry diese

The sand will sink to the bottom, think ocean. There is an awful lot of dust that floats on top and suspended in the water however. The sand must be rinsed repeatedly and then some. Once it's in and settled though it should be fine after a day or 2.

Dragonteen

Reaction score
thanks for those Links Jan! they were realy interesting and helpful!

oh ok. so as long as it is rinsed, any sand will do? (my pet shop is rediculously overpriced. a 2kg bag of sand for a reptile enclosure is something like $45 dollars, and you need three or four of these bags to get enough sand for a mid sized enclosure. 1 would fill an axoltl tank.)

also, what colours are there? i know there's albino, wild type, gold, black and gold and copper, but what else is there?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1