Illness/Sickness: Gills turn white and disintegrate!!

washywashy

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Hi everyone, I need help!! Yesterday, I realized that 1 branch of my Ax's gill turned white! Today, that gill has drastically shorten and now the branch below the initial gill branch also has a white tip and seems to be shortening too!!

What is the cause of this? There are no tank mates in the tank btw! :errr:

It sounds like what we call "fungus", although the cause may not actually be fungal.

Is the temperature too warm? How is the water quality? Have you tested for ammonia, etc? How long have you had the axolotl?

Salt baths and/or refrigeration are the remedies usually recommended.

It sounds like what we call "fungus", although the cause may not actually be fungal.

Is the temperature too warm? How is the water quality? Have you tested for ammonia, etc? How long have you had the axolotl?

Salt baths and/or refrigeration are the remedies usually recommended.

Hi Jennewt, thank you so much for your help! The temp fluctuates from 24 to 26 degrees. The tank is a well-cycled tank so all the readings are in check. I've only had it for 1 month. The appetite has been good all along, feeding solely on frozen bloodworms by Hikari.

I will try out the salt baths as recommended. Thanks! :)

Another thing to check might be the flow rate from your filter after you get the temp down and a holiday in the fridge- I've had issues with new filters a few times where it's caused the rami (Fluffy bits) to fall off when the flow's been too high.

Hi all, just an update, my ax's in the fridge for the past few days and he looks very well! His color returned to be the healthy white (he's a leucistic) just like when I got him. I have yet to do the salt bath though as the white stuff are gone. Guess right now I really have to source for a chiller and I can't rely on my aquarium fan to bring down the temperature :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back