Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank size?

carrie

Reaction score
Is a 10 gallon tank too big to house 2 juveniles (with a tank divider)? i am concerned because of the height of the tank and the little ones are only 3-4 inches long. Do they need something more shallow? THANKS!

Bdyoung

Reaction score
A ten gallon divided would be fine to house for awhile. It's all about what the levels in your tank are at and how much room does your axolotl have.

Ferretinmyshoes

Reaction score
Is there any problem with putting lotls about 3 inches in a 30 gallon with sand substrate and lots of hides? In the wild they'd be born in a lake where they could access deeper water right? About to get a pair once the tank is cycled! I have a smaller tank I could put them in as they grow a little more but I'd love to put them in the big tank if possible.

Bdyoung

Reaction score
I don't concern myself to much with depths of tanks when it comes to axies. More water capacity means better filtration and I believe they are strong enough to swim to the surface if need be. I kept axies only a few weeks old in a 20 tall with no problems. However I'm not sure all 3 will be suitable as adults. I'm sure it can be done, but i wouldn't recommend it.

Dr0gr1n

Reaction score
3-4 inch juvies are ok in a ten for awhile. If they are the same size they may not need the divider. You may have been told they are canabalistic, if they are fed well and often they will not eat each other.

I fill my tanks right to the top if I have a good lid or edge since there is a chance they can get out by swimming to the top fast.

As was previously said by someone the tank size and depth is not a huge issue as long as the tank is large enough for their size. More water is better for filtration and holding a constant temp longer.

Bare bottom is easiest to clean but sand is ok. if the little guys are really small very fine almost powdered sand would be best after a bare bottom of course.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1