Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bouncing an idea around :)

ahiggin1

Reaction score
Currently Ive got 2 axies in a 10 gal with a divider and bare bottom but I really want to upgrade them to a 20gallon long.
my issue Im having is that Ive got sand in the bottom of the 20 right now and I HATE it already. my idea is to completely clean out the 20 and silicone the bottom of the tank and sprinkle sand (for traction). best of both worlds...as easy to clean as a bare bottom AND it looks like theres sand there.
what do you think? if the silicone is food safe, it should be ok to use (given the cure time and what not).

Minniechild

Reaction score
You can buy aquarium silicone from the hardware shop- I used it to fix up a 6L tank for RCS, and they were fine in there. As for food grade, not too sure what could be in it- don't forget humans can take a lot more than an axie! Main advice is let it cure for at least a week (longer if you can manage) before putting anyone/any water in.
Also, what aren't you liking about the sand?

PandaHuggaz

Reaction score
If the silicone is safe and chemicals wont be released into the water, then I think it's a great idea :) One idea is possibly mix the sand in with the silicone as well as sprinkle on top to have a better sandy look to it.

I also think that if the silicone is safe for building aquariums with, I think that it would be safe for covering the bottom of the aquarium.

Last edited:

tusken raider

Reaction score
Some silicone says that it is aquarium safe, always read the label. The silicone should be type 1 clear and contain no anti fungal or anti mildew properties. As for your idea do a test in another container to determine whether you like the look of it

ahiggin1

Reaction score
I was wondering how long to let it sit :) thanks, a week it is! lol The major things I dont like about sand is that it sucks up super easily and I spent all day washing and putting the sand in my tank and the water STILL wouldnt clear up after a few days. Another thing that sort of bugs me is how easily it can be eaten. I know some people think its no big deal but I would prefer not to chance it. I have beardies and geckos, sand is horrid for them. Im not a big fan of live plants (I cant seem to keep them alive!!) so that wont be a problem lol

The silicone I bought is made for aquariums. I didnt think about mixing it in with the silicone, Ill have to try that :)

Thanks for the EXACT wording of what is should/shouldnt be :) too bad home depot and lowes doesnt carry anything like that :( By the way, I did not even think to do a test hahaha thats probably a REALLY good idea.

I have bare bottom right now and its so easy to clean but I feel like my little ones dont really like it. It takes some effort for them to GET moving lol instead of just walking around like they do on the huge rocks I have in there.

Thanks so much for all the ideas/opinions :) I will post pictures when its all finished

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1