Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Abnormal cloaca area...

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can identify the problem with our little guy (6 years old). I have attached a picture of his cloaca area - it looks like little worms. It doesn't seem swollen but can occasionally get red and look quite raw. What worries me at the moment is that there seems to be a lot of gray fluff coming off from around the area.

Apart from this, he seems fine. He is eating no problem, poos no problem and his behaviour is the same as ever.

Hopefully someone can help.

Attachments

• IMGP0117111.jpg
    IMGP0117111.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,417

arianja

Reaction score
I would take it to the vet immediately if i were you!
I don't know what it is but it looks like it may be some kind of a parasite. Hope the little guy will be alright.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
I would take it to the vet immediately if i were you!
I don't know what it is but it looks like it may be some kind of a parasite. Hope the little guy will be alright.

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

Has anyone seen this before? Or have any idea what it is?

Linus

Reaction score
I've never seen ANYTHING like that. Are they moving? It looks like a parasite possibly.

My recommendation: Vet visit asap.

And please update the thread, I'm very curious as to what it is!

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
I've never seen ANYTHING like that. Are they moving? IT looks like a parasite possibly?

My recommendation: Vet visit asap.

And please update the thread, I'm very curious as to what it is!

They don't move no and like I said, it doesn't seem to be causing him any discomfort but it is obviously something that needs to be looked at.

I want to know what might have caused it - what about the glass bottom to the tank? Axolotls can't get much grip on the glass and so their bottoms drag along the glass. I am going to get slate to cover the bottom of the tank which will hopefully give him more traction.

Linus

Reaction score
All of my tanks are bare bottom..as are many others, it's not caused by not having substrate. It could be a tumor, something genetic like that.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
All of my tanks are bare bottom..as are many others, it's not caused by not having substrate.

Yeah, I didn't think it would be. We have another axolotl (a wild type) in another identical tank and we have never had any problems with him. He is perfectly healthy.

This one is always getting fungus and now has this strange rash.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Have you found out what it is yet?

It's four different parasites and two different fungus so it is pretty nasty. He is currently going through daily F10 disinfectant baths and then we go back to the vet next week so see if he has improved at all.

Linus

Reaction score
Wowww. Thanks for letting us know, I had a feeling. Didn't think it'd be FOUR though.

keep us updated!

imzunicorn

Reaction score
How did they find out what it was? Did she scrape the area for a sample?

Also, I've read that axolotls very very rarely ever get tumors and are 1000 times more resistant to getting cancer than mammals-In response to someone's idea of it being a tumor.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
How did they find out what it was? Did she scrape the area for a sample?.

The vet examined some tissue that came off the area and tt is four different types of parasites and 2 types of fungus. We don't know what the underlying problem is but the vet wants to do an investigation (at the cost of £250) which would include a scrape.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
On Wednesday, Clock went in for his investigation. He was anaesthetised and a bacterial swab was taken from the mass around his tail. A biopsy was also taken and sent off for a histopathology. A skin scrape was taken from the area which showed lots of bacteria and several ciliates. There was no evidence of fungal hyphae (which means the F10 got rid of them as there was two of those before). Endoscopy of his vent showed no extension up inside his body and so the lesions appear to be confines to the area around his vent. He was given pain killers and made a good recovery.

We are waiting on all the test results for a full diagnosis. But there does appear to ve bacteria and parasites involved with the lesions. These are most likely secondary infections.

He is currently getting a 5 minute salt bath in the morning (5g (about a teaspoon) to every litre and a 4 hour Baytril antibiotic bath (0.1g per litre) in the evening. We have to do that for 5 days.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
Oh and he is going to be on a CBBC TV programme called Junior Vets. His procedure was filmed so when I find out when that is going to be on, I'll let you know.

Linus

Reaction score
I commend you for taking advice given, and the vet work being done for your axolotl. Kind of exciting it's being filmed, hopefully a clip will appear online so we can all view someday ;]

Hope he gets better, once again I've never seen ANYTHING like that. I'm sure the axolotl will appreciate his "loins" returning back to normal.

rosstxttpo

Reaction score
How'd this work out Ross?

Well, the Baytril seemed to make a bit of a difference but once we stopped, the problem just reoccurred. We were then advised to go back to the F10 baths again. Clock became the worst he had ever looked - his skin started to come off and he didn't eat for over a week. So we took him back to the vet and he gave him an injection of the Baytril and told us to administer the medication through a syringe into his mouth (rather than a bath). We are about 10 days in and he is back to normal in terms of his behaviour but the area still doesn't look 100%. He is eating again though and has been very interactive recently.

We have to send photos to the vet on Tuesday so he can decided whether to continue the course, whether it is time to stop or just try something else.

Linus

Reaction score
Hopefully the treatment has helped rid the issue. Good luck Ross.

Let us know when we can see the film shots :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1