Where can I find FB newt in NJ area?

maisy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I'm new here and I starting to get together a Walstad style set up in preparation for a fire belly newt that I want to get next month.I've found this site incredibly helpful so far...fantastic really. Most pet stores are quite clueless. I went to one yesterday and the temperature in the place had to be 85 degrees F. or more. They had Fire belly Newts but they looked scrawny and were probably half dead from the heat!

I like the eastern newts as well but they are not sold in NJ because they are a native species. I had an Eastern Newt as a kid and enjoyed it very much. So that rules the eastern newt out...my guess is if they are not sold here you can't have them as pets either...?

Anyhow, I was hoping to go to a local show or a breeder in the NJ/NY/PA area so I can see what I am buying for my first FB newt.
Does anyone know of anything going on?
Is there a breeder in the NJ area?
How is that NY reptile expo in White Plains? Worth going for newts? That's about 2.5 hours of driving for me.

Thanks for your help!:)

I believe that NJ has some very restrictive laws about amphibians, but I don't recall the details. Check the section of the forum about Laws and Legality.

Anyhow, I was hoping to go to a local show or a breeder in the NJ/NY/PA area so I can see what I am buying for my first FB newt.
Does anyone know of anything going on?
Is there a breeder in the NJ area?
Thanks for your help!:)

You may want to touch base/PM Michael Shrom from PA. He periodically has Cynops species for sale e.g., http://www.caudata.org/forum/f49-ad...popei-chinensis-cyanurus-chenggon-smooth.html.

Regarding NJ laws, see this discussion thread: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...ws-legality-ethics/76832-laws-new-jersey.html

Thanks Jen & Jan.Read those threads/links. Looks like The red Spotted Newt/Eastern Newt is the only newt that does not require a permit in NJ. Perhaps that might be a better choice for me anyway provided that it is past the eft stage (if I keep my current set-up). Do you know where I might locate a pair of Eastern Newts?

I have a pair that my dad picked up as red efts on a hike in NJ, but getting them from the wild isn't a good idea because they might have some sort of illness or fungus and they aren't used to captivity. Also, I've never seen them in any pet stores. Your best bet is to find a trustworthy breeder in NJ. Sorry that I couldn't be of much more help, but they are hard to get :(. The Eastern Newt does make a wonderful pet though. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back