Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Leg off, not sure what to do next

LegoChlo

Reaction score
Hello.
I am rather new to this as I inherited my axos at 6 months old as a total novice.
I have 2, Io (pink) and Echo (green). Echo was much larger that Io when I got them but now that they're settled and feeding better Io is catching up.

I noticed about a week and a half ago that Echo's left front leg looked like it had been injured somehow. This is strange because just before that, it looked like its right front leg had been grazed but that cleared up.

I followed the advice on another post re: legs detaching, fear of infection, etc, so Echo's been in the fridge for a week, water changed every day (water left out for 24-48 hours first) and having salt baths (3 litres: 6 teaspoons salt). The left leg has now come off just under the elbow and seems to be clean.

However, I'm concerned that Echo's right hand seems to be curling under slightly awkwardly and there appears to be a light line across the wrist.
Also, how long does it take for the detached limb to start healing and how long should I keep the fridging going for?
Maybe I'm being paranoid because of my lack of experience but I don't want to do anything wrong or exacerbate things.

I'm just trying to work out how to put up some photos..

Thanks in advance.

Chloe

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!