Question: How often do i feed my baby axolotls??

Phippsy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey, my axolotls have laid eggs 14 days ago now. I havent tried breeding before so im jist looking for a little help.
I havent touhed the water or anything so they are still in their original water. Is this ok. Do i need to change the water? I can already see the axolotl shape and im just waiting for them to hatch. I was just wondering when they hatch how soon do i have to feed them? I have read that they eat their egg as their forst meal so when do i have to worry about putting in the food for them? I have already bought some brine shrimp eggs but i didnt want start hatchimg them too soon

Thanks heaps phippsy

You did not specify if they were still in the parents tank or if they were in their own tank. I ask since the parents will eat them when they hatch.

Hatching them in a smaller container makes feeding and cleaning much easier than a tank.

They are fine in the water they are in. When they start to hatch you have a day or two to get their first live meal in the water with them. The sacs/egg they break out of can be removed since the egg they will feed off of for the next 24 hours or so is in their belly already. It took me 4 days after mine hatched to get bbs to hatch and mine were all fine.

Once you see the first few hatch you can fire that brine shrimp hatchery up. I like to feed twice a day, morning and night. i fed only what they would eat in 15 to 20 minutes and would clean the container and water before every feed, so that was two feeds and two water changes every day.

Make sure you rinse the bbs really well before putting them into the axolotl container.

Hope that helps

Hey

I have taken them out of the parents tank and they have been in a smaller containr since i found them
I have got the eggs redy to hatch as soon as i see the first few hatch. I was just wondering when they generally begin to hatch? How do i do a tank clean with the babies? Can i take them out and put them into another container while i clean the one they were in? I should probably get some more brine shrimp as i only have a little packet of it.

Thanks for all the help, if anyone else has some other answers they would be greatly apprecuated. Phippsy

I hatched axolotl babies over a week ago and have been doing the morning and night bbs feedings... but my last batch of bbs didn't make it (air tube fell out of the jar and they all were basically dead by the time I noticed). Do you think that if they missed one feeding they'd die? I have another batch going, but they aren't ready fully hatched yet. I'm worried they'll starve if they have to wait 24 hrs to be fed.

How much should I be feeding? I have about 40 babies. I am worried I will overfeed. I have the brine shrimp in a fishbowl, what is the best way to suck some out without getting eggs and eggshells?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back