Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help asap plzz!

archie

Reaction score
Hi,

Just found a dried newt in a drain while at work, put him in a "puddle" for a while and he started moving, didn't want to leave it by the side of the busy road so its in a plastic container with dechlor water and some blood worm. Now how do I go about releasing him??? will any old pond in a forest do? I have CFB newts, the one I found looks like a common newt, same as fire belly but a yellowy brown. please reply asap as I don't know whats would be best.

Many thanks

Alex.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Keep it well away from the H.orientalis and do not use any materials in common (like tweezers, plants, etc...).
If you maintain it fully isolated and quarantied, then you can just release it in the area where you found it. There has to be a water mass somewhere in the vicinity. Alternatively, if a surveyance of the area shows no sign of water masses (even if currently dried out) or you haven´t maintained adequate quarantine, you can contact the pertinent authorities and they should be able to deal with it.

jane1187

Reaction score
I agree somewhat. Keep it separate, but don't keep it too long. It'll be unlikely to feed if you attempted to keep it for a while to give it strength. Just keep it long enough to see its ok. Keep it dark too to reduce stress. I'd also keep it on damp paper rather than in water.

Now about releasing it. Like Azhael said, try to release it back near a pond where you found it. If there are no obvious ponds look into the surrounding area (within a mile or maybe 2), for a pond it could have travelled from (some newts can travel surprisingly far).

Unfortunately the 'pertinent authorities' probably only means a local wildlife hospital so if you're really worried give it to them. I doubt any other authority would take it from you.

Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1