Hello from Virginia!

igor

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I am happy to find this forum. I live in Northwestern VA, USA. I have seven adult salamanders and ten baby Jefferson salamanders we've raised from tadpoles. Since that's what we're here for, let's introduce the sals:

First is Igor (my username), whom we found in February. It was a mild winter and early spring, so this female Jefferson salamander - we initially, no knowing any better, thought she was a he, hence the name! - was on her way to her breeding pond, which was unfortunately being drained. She's very large - about 8 inches long. She is our very first salamander.

igor-albums-my-salamanders-picture23089-igor-female-jefferson-salamander.jpg

Two female marbled salamanders, Mango and Inga. Mango is the large adult, Inga is still growing up:

igor-albums-my-salamanders-picture23090-mango-inga.jpg

Three spotted salamanders, one female (Fat Chop) and two males (Chip and Chap). Chap has his hand on Fat Chop's back and Chip is the little one with the big bright spots to the side. They tend to hang together:

igor-albums-my-salamanders-picture23091-chip-chap-chop.jpg

We rescued a bunch of Jefferson and Spotted salamanders last spring from the drained pond. We let most of them go, but of all the male Jefferson salamanders, I had to keep this guy, Glenn Hughes. Here you see him hanging out with Igor: he's the darker one on top with the blue spots:

igor-albums-my-salamanders-picture23092-glenn-hughes-igor.jpg

Hope you enjoyed meeting them all! I look forward to posting more here in the future. :)

Hi igor and welcome to caudata.org! Pretty salamanders you have there and great that you were able to raise the Jefferson's from larvae.

Welcome, it's cool to see other Northern Virginians. Neat collection of salamanders you have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back