Cycling a tank

singhm29

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My first proper attempt at cycling is leaving me with a few questions. I have been following the cycling method Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling using the fishless method

1. Should I be doing any sort of water change/water top off during the cycling or will this disturb the cycling process? A gallon has evaporated and while the filter is running there is a film/bubbles forming at the top of the tank (im assuming because the filter isnt running at a super high flow rate)

2.Can I measure nitrate levels indirectly by looking at drops in nitrite levels?

3. Should I ever remove any of the bloodworms during cycling?

Here is a little breakdown from the readings I have taken

June 17 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.5ppm N02= 0.00ppm

June 19 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 1.0ppm N02= 0.25ppm

June 21 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.5ppm N02= 0.25ppm

June 26 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.0ppm N02= 5.00ppm

June 28 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.0ppm N02= 5.00ppm

June 2 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.0ppm N02= 5.00ppm

June 4 PH= 8.2 NH3/NH4= 0.25ppm N02= 5.00ppm

Wont lie I was damn happy when I was able to say my Nitrosomanus bacteria had become established but now the next group of bacteria seem to be slacking and not converting to the last stage!

When I first cycled my tank, I started with fish food in a sock. That was very messy and smelly so after a few weeks I switched to using pure ammonia. This helped greatly. When my ammonia levels would drop I just added a little more (I can't remember but I believe I would add about 2.5 ml in my 20 gallon tank. It still took another 6 weeks or so to fully cycle. You need to keep a small level of ammonia in the tank, otherwise the original colony of bacteria will not thrive. Once your levels are 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite, and some nitrate, you are cycled. Adding dechlorinated water to top off your tank probably won't hurt anything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back