Hideys?

waggy1987

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi any suggestions of good hideys iv 2 reptile hideys and a cocunut and plants and sand substrate at min thanks

I'd double check the reptile hides you have, since a lot of decorations for reptiles aren't aquarium safe. If they state that they're ok for aquatic environments, then that's fine.

There are a lot of aquarium decorations that make good hides- hollow logs, hollow stones, buildings, etc. The big thing is to make sure they don't have any sharp spots that could cut or puncture your axolotl's soft skin.

You could also get creative and make your own hides. A lot of people will turn terracotta pots on their sides and just use that. Or get a section of PVC piping that the axolotl can lay in. Even fancier is if you buy slate or large river rocks, and using aquarium silicone, gluing them together to make a rock cave. Again, do a little research on what is aquarium safe- certain stone and wood types aren't safe for axolotls.

Some axolotls even like densely planted areas as hides. My axolotl Motley has one cave-like hide, then a big clump of plants, and more often than not he's hiding behind and around his plants. Or hanging off of them like a goof. :rolleyes:

Hopefully this was helpful! Poke around different pet and aquarium stores, maybe even hardware stores, and I'm sure you'll find something suitable for your tank.

Hi Lindsey thanks for ur reply.

Yes they are aquarium safe,iv had a look around my local aquatic stores and no hideys hav amazed me yet.The coconut i hollowed out and created it so they could lounge around in it and i also got some pvc piping too but seen some real fancy caves
on here and fancied making one or buying one but cant seem to find much.

We got a fair few plants but they sometimes seems annoyed that they are in thier way and dig them up lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back