Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sand on Gravel

hantsian

Reaction score
I have a tank 130cm x 60cm x 90cm high which I have set up with the idea of keeping axolotls. I have filled it to about 30cm deep and planted it. I also have installed a fluval canister filter to a filter bar at the top of the tank so the filtered water runs down one side. I kept axolotls many years ago and thought the tank would be ideal. I have only just found this site and have made a major error of putting gravel in. The guy in the shop said it was OK! As the tank is so deep and requires a step ladder in its position I would find emptying the gravel very difficult. Do you think a layer of sand or slates over the gravel would work or will the gravel come to the top. Has anyone had any experience of this. Otherwise I have to weigh up the difficulty of removing the gravel against the ease of keepinfg fish in the tank instead.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sand will sift down into the gravel. Also! Axolotls are bottom feeders that will happily root through the substrate, and may easily dig up gravel. It really does need to be removed before axolotls are kept.

Minniechild

Reaction score
MereB has a wonderful suggestion (in her amazing tank build!) for tanks such as yours- get a dustpan and broom, and once you've drained off all the water, use them to get the gravel out of the tank. Far easier than trying to drag it all out by hand!
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ate/76744-new-huge-tank-build-stay-tuned.html -this is the thread- also got some really good ideas on how to incorporate gravel safely into the tank and make it useful :)
And please post some pics once you get it sorted!!

hantsian

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I thought it might be a problem. The problem is that there is only a couple of feet to work above the tank. It is in a great situation on a strong bench inside a North Ffacing garage with a clear roof but with the front face as a window into a garden room. It gets natural light but no sun but is going to present a lot of effort to get all that gravel out.

hantsian

Reaction score
II have just had a look at the thread. The use of plastic mesh is a great idea. Many thanks for that. Your new tank is wonderful.

Minniechild

Reaction score
I wish it were mine! I am about to start something similar, though I have to reinforce my chest of drawers first (where my tank sits in my room) so it can take the 500kg weight :)
As to the light, look at the thread again- there are some really fabulous plant suggestions. My room faces south (hooray for being in the southern hemisphere) and the plants do relatively well. One I will sing the praises of (and from what mere's done works well with the gravel bags) is the humble Java moss- I find it beyond invaluable in keeping my tanks (both filtered or frequently changed out) stable, and brilliant with baby axies :)

hantsian

Reaction score
Thanks for the plant info. I will get some. I have installed a small heater and thermostat that will prevent it getting too cold in winter. If I find the winter light is insufficient I can always install artificial light but I understand that they prefer fairly low light levels.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Ah, but the colder the better for axies! My tank's at 12-14c at the moment, and I have the chiller set to kick in at 19c. Some of the others on here with amazing setups *jealous eyes* in their basements in the Northern Hemisphere get ice on the tops of their tanks without damage to their precious ones, so probably wouldn't be worrying about the heater- don't forget it's more important to keep them below 22-23c and stable than above freezing point- as long as you're not getting it completely frozen through! There are also some really good references around for plants that are good at the lower temps axies prefer.

hantsian

Reaction score
It certainly will not get down to freezing but can get down to perhaps 5 to 10 in winter. I thought I read 18 to 22 was ideal. Even when it goes below zero outside the warmth of the house keeps the chill off so perhaps I have wasted money on the heater. I don't have to plug it in - save the planet. I will have a look at the article and probably find I have purchased all the wrong plants. I just asked for a good selection of cold water aquarium plants at the aquarium shop.

Minniechild

Reaction score
Could set up a red cherry shrimp/guppy tank with the heater :D I've found that make magnificent tank mates and wonderful snacks for the axies, and they tend to be more prolific at higher temperatures :p

hantsian

Reaction score
Thanks. You are full of good ideas. I have just posted another thread about water sources. Perhaps you have a view about that too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1