Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie question about half plant pots

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just starting to set up a tank to home 2 axolotl. I've started it with water from my fish tank, I know it needs more water! I've floated some plants in it because I'm under the impression that it is good for the water - eventually I want lots of plants floating on the top to provide shade below.

I've got a long ceramic floor tile covering the front half of the base of the tank, the back is just glass. I have another bit of tile but no way to cut it to fit......

I've got a plantpot I cracked in half as a hide - I'm planning more out of other things but for the moment I just have a couple of questions:

Are the rough edges on the cracked plant pot ok? I'm going to wedge them in place with large stones with plants in between. How strong/clumsy/nosy are axolotl? I don't want to use sand or gravel as a substrate because I've read too many horror stories on here about axolotl trying to eat anything that is smaller than their heads. So I've nothing to bed the rough edges into.

If I put the pots on the other side could I wedge the filter behind them? Or at least hide the filter there? I can't get it to stick to the glass and as you can see it's floating around and turning plants upside down :)

376359_246371555480642_625132637_n.jpg

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You have a good start, but here are a couple of thoughts.

I've never had a problem with rough edges on broken pots.

The water level is much too shallow. More water = more stable water quality and more room to swim.

This filter produces heat in the water (not good) and will drive you crazy, not only because it won't stay in place, but also because it is difficult to clean out. Axies tend to produce a lot of waste. Consider other options if you can. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

You could try rooting the plants in pots of gravel/soil. See:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...enclosures-vivariums/66710-plant-bundles.html

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
Y
This filter produces heat in the water (not good) and will drive you crazy, not only because it won't stay in place, but also because it is difficult to clean out. Axies tend to produce a lot of waste. Consider other options if you can. See:
Caudata Culture Articles - Filters/QUOTE]

Ohh helpful links, thank you!. I've added more water now. There will be more stones in there also which will raise it too. And only yesterday I scrubbed some small pots for plants in the tank :)

I have an airstone which I don't use in my fish tank, so I could try that. The pump is noisy I agree, but only when it gets loose and rattles around. I have it on the lowest setting. The tank is in a cool part of the house, a room that gets no sunlight at all but I don't want to bake them so I'll look at alternatives. Am I right in thinking that if I have enough plants they will sort of clean the water?

Huge thanks for your reply and ideas.

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
The only thermometer I have is one for preserving so it will tell me if the water reaches setting point but nothing useful before that :) I'll buy a thermometer! I've put my hand in and it feels cool to touch, the filter has been on for over 24hours. Will it heat up with animals and more plants in it?

Sam77

Reaction score
The plants will help with nitrates, but you will still have to do at least weekly cleans/water changes. I always worry about sharp edges on ornaments etc, as their skin is easily damaged. Personally I would put some sand in as a substrate, as it is nicer for them to walk on, and you can bury the sharp edges. Most people on here use sand without any issues. Failing that, you could use some sandpaper to smooth the edges of the pots.

How big is your tank? If you are going to put 2 in there you will need at least 1 more hide for them, and be aware that the filter will heat the water too- not so much of a problem now, but you will have to watch the water temp when the weather heats up again - I have a fan on my tank when it gets warm.

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
thanks for that, I have plans for more hides, I just need to find some flat rocks. The tank is 24 inches x 12. Is there a particular type of sand that would be ok? I hadn't thought of sandpapering off the edges, genius! thank you.

tumptyteapot

Reaction score
This is the state of play today, I'm really enjoying fiddling around with it.
I've used the Plant Bundles idea, thank you so much for that!

I've got 3 hiding places, 2 smaller plant pots and one large one. My son thought it would be a good idea to put a plant in there to give the Axoloyl more hiding places.

I'd like one more hiding space somewhere and I'm working on that.
Any criticisms or ideas would be much appreciated. It's an unusually tall 2ft tank so the water is a bit deeper than it looks in the picture. Also it's cool still so I think the pump is ok.

425420_247689932015471_1833312109_n.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1