Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do i need???

KEU131

Reaction score
So, the time is getting close to when i will get my first ever axolotl, i am getting a juvenile.

i have been cycling the tank and that is going really well.

my question is what else do i need? i want peoples recommendations for an axolotl care kit.
food is an obvious one but i am curious for other tips and tricks that people had picked up over their time raising Axolotls.

any help is very appreciated :D

thanks guys!

millerj76

Reaction score
Hi, good luck with raising your new juvenile axolotl and i hope you will be posting some pictures. I have been raising for some time now and with success, the main 'ingredients' for an axolotl kit, which i'm sure is already posted on this site in numerous places, but i will still give you my list anyway are,,,containers/tubs/tank, a thermometer, water treatment(depends on water hardness/softness) pipette or syringe(to clear axie waste) daily water changes(unless you are using a filter with a slow flow) air pump(not neccessary if doing daily water changes) algae sponge (as slime/algae builds up in containers, so make sure to clean tubs/containers well as slime can be harmful) back up food source (frozen bloodworm finely sliced to tiny pieces always works for me). Thats pretty much the basics, but this site is so good that if you have any problems or worries then just ask on here and i'm sure you will get the help/answers that you need.

tusken raider

Reaction score
^^ yes, buy a master kit you will save a heap instead of buying them individually. Also have an extra pack of frozen bloodworm or pellets handy

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!