Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Strange Behaviour

DeniseD

Reaction score
I just woke up and came downstairs to get a drink and noticed two of my axies were acting very strange, they were circling each other and kept pushing up each others tails, it almost seemed panicked. Toothless'(who I assumed was female until now) cloacal region was swollen and she/he seemed to be, this is going to sound strange, wagging her/his tail? She/he also seemed to be getting as close to the sand as possible and backing up at times. Falcor also has a swollen cloacal area but is acting more normal.

Is this breeding behaviour? It has me worried but all the parameters are normal and a water change was done earlier today with the usual dechlorinated water.
Any suggestions?

millerj76

Reaction score
Sounds like one of your axolotls is feeling a bit 'horny'. My axolotls rub up against each other and nudge each other shortly before mating, have you noticed any white stuff(sperm) in the tank, if so and if you have male female axolotls,you may notice one of the axolotls(the male) pushing the female over the sperm, this would be normal behaviour and you may possibly have a bunch of eggs in a few days.

DeniseD

Reaction score
Didn't notice any spermatophores in the tank. They seem to be back to normal today. I'm more so confused because they seem to be reaching sexual maturity and are both showing larger cloacal regions but not as big as most pictures I've seen so I'm unsure of their sex. They love to be together but should I seperate them to prevent premature mating?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!