Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Sources of water other than tap

hantsian

Reaction score
I am setting up my tank (130x60 x90 high but only filled to 30) with a plan to keep 2 axolotls in a couple of months when it is established and cycled. At the moment I have put in tap water and plants. Our tap water is good quality as it comes from aquafers under the chalk downs BUT it is very hard. I also have softened water in the house which I could use. I also have a large ornamental pond which is well established (over 20 years) with lots of plants and several dozen large koi and goldfish. It is kept clear with a submersible pump which filters the water through a UV and large biological filter. I was wondering if I could use water from this pond and if so if it might speed up the cycling process. Would it be a good idea to cycle the tank with goldfish which I could then add to the pond or is fishless cycling best.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pond water might help, but might also introduce things you don't want. I would say yes to it, but others might disagree.

Hard water is just fine. If your water goes through a water softener, this is actually worse, as it puts in salt in place of minerals. I would use the not-softened water.

hantsian

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Using unsoftened tap water is the easiest way. I can see that there may be "nasties" in the pond even though it is well established and the fish are healthy as it does get visits from native frogs in the spring. I will stick with the tap water I think. I am going to take my time and make sure it is really set up correctly before getting any axolotls. Thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1