Axolotl acting weird??

Phippsy

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey guys

I have noticed that my axolotl has been floating on the top for a while. I always think that he is dead and just floating lifeless on the top. I check that hes ok by trying to get him to move. He always just swims to the bottom and sometimes stays their but most of the time he just floats straight to the top again. I have thought that it was just something he was doing for fun untill he started to do it all the time. Is this normal or is it sonething that could be wrong with him??

Thanks heaps phippsy

One of mine does the same thing and I find that she does it most when the nitrite levels are beginning to go up. If your levels are fine then your water may just require more oxygen or your axolotl could simply just like hanging out at the top. If it makes you feel better, my two spend about 60% of their time at the top as opposed to on the bottom and I think they're sleeping half of the time because they don't move for hours :p

My leucistic axolotl did it once, its when they gulp to much air in and then they get an air bubble stuck in their stomach, it occurs alot in newly hatched baby axolotls aswell, it will eventually go :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back