Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotls and Anderson's Salamanders

Janine

Reaction score
Hi I have a couple of questions about my Axolotls and Andersons.

First off I have an Albino Axolotl that I recently purchased from a local shop. I have many many others, but wanted him because he seemed quite small and was being slowly eaten by his tankmate. His front leg looks broken and although he still uses it seems almost severed at the elbow. It doesn't seem to be getting worse but it doesn't seem to be getting any better either. Is there anything you would suggest I do? I have had my experience with missing limbs but not one thats been this severely munched.

On another note. I have just recently bought myself 4 lovely Juvi Anderson's Salamanders but cant find much information on them. I'm raising them like my Axolotl, however do they have any special needs? And I heard not to feed them pellets, that this might cause them to metamorphosize. Is there anything else I need to avoid or are the conditions they prefer that would help them stay how they are. Like larger water volume or more food?

Any replies will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The arm will likely heal on its own. For the anderoni, keeping them in cold clean water will help to prevent them from morphing. They would be more likely to morph if the water quality becomes poor, or if they are stressed in any way.

Janine

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, yes I'm hoping my poorly axie will get better soon, I just have to keep an eye on him I guess. And okay, thanks, I'll keep the water quality of my Anderson tank as good as I can. The water is kept cold with a cooling fan and is quite stable, I was quite surprised how well a little fan works. Thanks again for the reassurance :)

Kipper

Reaction score
One of my hatchlings had a similar problem. Its arm was chewed up badly by a sibling and was not able to move it afterwards. I thought I would have to amputate the damaged limb since it was immobile, but decided to wait. Now I can't even tell which one it was! It healed up great after several weeks. Hopefully yours heals just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!