Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Member, Pics of Axolotl Tank

DavidBowden7

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I'm David. I've got 5 wild type juvenile Axolotls that will be on the way to me Friday and I've had a tank cycling for them for a while now. It contains 6 live plants (3 bulbs that have just started, 3 established), 10 ghost shrimp, and 5 White Cloud Minnows. The water tests perfect and everything appears to be very healthy. I attached a pic of the aquarium, will update when I get my new pets!

I've been lurking with an account for 4 years now, and finally decided it was time to try my hand at some axolotls. I've wanted one ever since I saw the IU colony with one of my old professors. His had eggs, but apparently he was not supposed to give any of the offspring to someone not affiliated with the program.

Attachments

• IMG_1924.jpg
    IMG_1924.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 624

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi DavidBowden7 - after 4 years of being here, let me officially welcome you to the forum!

DavidBowden7

Reaction score
Thanks! Getting them 2 days from now.

The tank has been setup for about a week, but I used 5 gallons of water from the aquarium before it was cleaned out, and the rock and fake stump came out of there as well. The fish and shrimp came from an enthusiast who bred them himself, so I know they are "clean". The water is testing well with a drop test kit so I think it's ready.

LPG

Reaction score
Did you get the axxies yet????? How is everything going?

acbert

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum David! Nice looking setup you got there. I didn't know you could grow bamboo completely submerged under water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1