Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Use current water/ornaments and live plants for quick set up of new tank

kaliko22

Reaction score
I have upgraded from a 15G tank to a 20G long tank (petco had their $1 per gallon tank sale!) and I was wondering if just taking some of the old water from my axie's 15g tank, plus the ornaments/hides (unwashed) and use those to keep the good stuff in his water. Would it be like a partial water change? I do not use a filter for him (but thinking of getting him an external filter with a spray bar like my turtle has). I also have some new live plants and the water is fine now (just the ammonia is at .5, so a slight spike). Would he be okay for a quick transfer? He is a golden and about 7inches. I read some where else that this would be ok, but want to make sure!

Danolfs

Reaction score
Not really sure how to "follow" this post, so I am writing on it to hopefully keep better track of this...

I also am very curious about this..

kaliko22

Reaction score
I heard that as long as you keep the levels pretty close to in check then it should be ok, but there will still be some of a cycling process. When I first got him at 4 inches, I was not expecting him lol Talked to the breeder and he said that they are the easiest things. Told him that I had an empty 10 or 15 gallon, could not remember at the time, and asked what I had to do to get it ready. He said just fill it up about 1/2, use conditioner of course, and put him in. He was little then and had no problems. He also said not to worry about testing as long as I clean up after him and change the water 20% every other day. And Pinky never seemed stressed, greeted me at the glass or top of the tank, ate and went potty very well! Now, after reading more about them, I have done testing, thinking that my ammonia level is at .5 due to a kind of 'gentler' cycle? But still doing the 20% daily or every other day. I know that there are some people that say that they have never cycled, some that always do a full few week cycle, so I am just curious. :rolleyes:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1