Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

KKeeping my tanks cool.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Well, here in southeastern Michigan, temps are back to normal in the mid 80's. For me, this is still bad. You see, I'm a college kid living at home with my parents, who just LOVE having the windows open all of the time.

I made it through the 100*F weather, and lost 1 Tiger in the process. I used frozen water bottles. It brought the tank temp down to around 74 to 78* F. I have a mesh lid already. The main problem is, I have replacement ice bottles but they melt so fast I cannot keep up, especially at night when I'm asleep.

I have no basement so my only option from the reading I've seen is computer fans which I'm going to try but id like some feedback.

Can I simply lay the fans on top of the mesh or would I need to secure them using zip ties?
For a transformer, could I use a cell phone charger? I'm no electrician, but I know cell phones use D/C and an outlet is A/C, and computers run off of A/C. Why is a transformer needed rather than splice the wiring to a plug?
How bad will this dry my Tigers out? I mist them twice a day.

This is a tad off topic, maybe. Currently my substrate is very damp. My 10.5" Tiger will not burrow, but my 6" Tigers do. Is this because of heat, or the damp eco-earth? The large Tiger is in a 20 long tank, mesh lid. The two 6" Tigers are in a 10g tank, mesh lid.

Sorry to write so much, I just thought a scenario might help.

Last edited:

JessKB

Reaction score
Hi there! Im in SE michigan too and although I have AC, I've been battling the temps lately too. I wouldnt use a fan on terestrial species because there is the danger of drying them out.

Your tiger should burrow to escape the heat. Is your substrate so wet you can squeeze water from it? If it is, get some new substrste to dry it out and give him plenty of depth to burrow.

You could also try getting some pvc pipe and making a burrow for him. Temps are a lot cooler in the substrsate and that would help a lot. If all else fails, I've heard of people making temporary enclosures out of styrophome coolers. That would make your ice bottles go a long way.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
It's nice to see someone close to me!

I'll try the pvc you were talking about. He use to burrow, but lately will not. Also, I'll add some substrate to dry it out. There is about 3" of substrate now.

So basically all I can do is keep doing the water bottle trick? (unless I do the cooler idea)

The fan sounded like a neat project, but I was concerned if it would dry things out much, with it constantly circulating air.

JessKB

Reaction score
I'm sure you've read this already, but there's this article on caudataculture: Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

try to get the temperature of the deepest part in the substrate and see what that's like. If it's still to warm I'd try the cooler idea.

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Yupp, that's where I got all my ideas from. Oddly it lists the fan idea even for terrestrial setups. but states for the aquatic setups not to use it for terrestrial setups LOL

I use a thermometer that sticks to the glass, for for now. It's what I can afford. I know the humidity is fine. it sits just above the substrate.

JessKB

Reaction score
I was looking at your other post about sexing your tigers, and saw your substrate looks very wet. If it's still that wet, that's why your tiger isn't burrowing. Tigers don't need a ton of moisture, and a lot of moisture will lead to your coconut fiber fouling and make fungus a real threat, especially in this hot muggy weather. You also said you spray them twice a day, that's not needed and will just keep adding too much moisture.
If the top of your substrate is as wet as it looks in the picture, remember it will be considerably more wet deeper down.

I never spray my tiger enclosures. When it starts looking too dry I just sprinkle some water over it. I also keep a water bowl in the tank so that if it ever does get too dry, he can jump in there.

Alot of tigers out west live in prairie dog burrows, I can't imagine them being too soggy. Here in Michigan they live under fields and woodlands not under or near the muck of ponds.

shoot more for the consistency of loose soil. Here's a picture of one of mine if it helps:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/members/jesskb/albums/tiger/19787-ambystoma-mavortium/

ba98mgt

Reaction score
Ok I'll either add more or replace it.

Both of my tanks have a dish of water..I guess I'm just afraid they wont go in if need be.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1