Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated and floating upside down

AxelGee

Reaction score
My axel is about 2 years old and was a gift. I've been lucky ad he has been low maintenance for me until last night when I went to clean the tank and feed him.
I found him floating on the top of the tank upside down floating.
I've just been to the local aquarium shop and the phd was high and am trying to manage it now. Axel is in a smaller tank now with minimal water and isn't moving unless I touch him. He looks like he has air in him also. Is there anything I can do to save him. Is this normal? Will he die? His my first real pet and never thought I would be so upset about it. Can anyone help??

Minniechild

Reaction score
Oh dear! First thing I'd suggest is putting him in the fridge- the cold can do wonders for a sick axie. In the meantime,
-What is your substrate?
-What (exactly) are the parameters from the tank he got sick in- temp, pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?
-What else is in the tank- fish, decorations, plants?
-Can you see anything out of the ordinary in the tank (White blobs, increased algae...)?
-What is his diet?

All this info will give the peeps on here a much better chance at helping him.
Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP HOPE!!

AxelGee

Reaction score
His in a 20l tank I would say and yes I did neglect him a bit and his tank did seem dirty. I had taken out the filter for some time now as he was not liking it. I never fill the tank up either as I had read on another site that they didn't need too much water. I was in a panic last night and cleaned his tank and water. Ph is still high and trying to lower it and have been given also prime to remove all the chlorine ammonia etc. oh and can't forget the quick start as I've added fresh water in it.
So even though it's cold here, your still recommend me to put him in the fridge? Would I need to make sure that the ph is fine first before I do that before I shock him even more?
And no his not a fish..... His my lil buddie and honestly I feel so bad and upset the way he is.

AxelGee

Reaction score
His in a 20l tank I would say and yes I did neglect him a bit and his tank did seem dirty. I had taken out the filter for some time now as he was not liking it. I never fill the tank up either as I had read on another site that they didn't need too much water. I was in a panic last night and cleaned his tank and water. Ph is still high and trying to lower it and have been given also prime to remove all the chlorine ammonia etc. oh and can't forget the quick start as I've added fresh water in it.
So even though it's cold here, your still recommend me to put him in the fridge? Would I need to make sure that the ph is fine first before I do that before I shock him even more?
And no his not a fish..... His my lil buddie and honestly I feel so bad and upset the way he is.:(

Minniechild

Reaction score
Definitely straight to the fridge- the cold and dark will help him de-stress- dechlorinate some tap water (PRIME ONLY) and the levels should be pretty close to optimal.
As to the tank- I've had axies in a 20L and it's a VERY difficult thing to do long-term (not impossible, but definitely a lot more work). I also would only be using Prime- miracle substance that it is. With a 20L, you really need to have it all the way to the top- the more water the better off you are with water stability, and no filtration needs to have water changes every day or two (the rule of thumb I used was 2L/day had to come out-four where possible). Even with a filter in, you should be water changing a few times a week, lest it crash like a meteor. What I'd suggest:

1. Put him in the fridge. Look up fridging on CC- make sure the light's out and put in a bottle or three of decholrinated water to change EVERY DAY. No skipping. Don't worry about food- this is about giving him time to get stuff OUT of his digestive tract, not into it.

2. Clean out the tank- everything. If you have gravel that was likely a contributing factor for it. Get it out, put down sand, or go to a bare bottom.

3. Get a box or sponge filter going- you run it off an air pump and they don't produce too much current if you set them up correctly (tie a knot in the air line if you don't have any clamps)

4. Consider getting a bigger tank- You'll have so much fun setting it up, and it'll be a much stabler environment for your mate. Also, once you get it down in summer, they stay down much more easily than the small ones :)

5. Take a deep breath- you've done the right thing by asking for help. The peeps on here are amazing and we'll do whatever we can to help you both through this.
Update us in the morning, okay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1