Question: Gulping air every few minutes??

TwistedWindSox

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Twis
I just got my first axie, Flula, yesterday. Everything has been fine until this afternoon. I have him in a small temporary container until his tank is finished cycling. I did a 100% water change at about 11 am PST.
I went out for a while, and when I returned, I went to check on, and feed Flula a couple of pellets, and removed the ones he didn't eat. Since then, he has been surfacing and taking gulps of air every few minutes... Is this bad?? I read somewhere that this might mean the water quality is poor, so I did about a 50% water change, but he's still surfacing.
Is something wrong? Or is this normal? I'm really worried, especially since I'm a new owner... I'm really worried about doing something wrong. :(
Thanks in advance for your help.

Gulping air usually means that there isn't enough oxygen in the water so they surface and get air from outside the water. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure it is mostly from lack of oxygen in the water. Maybe if you have an air stone or bubbler you could place it in the temporary tank which would provide bubbles, i.e. oxygen. hope this helps

I will have to go to petco and pick up an airstone and pump tomorrow, I hope that helps.
Thank you so much for your reply!

that's ok. Even if they have a good air stone and what not don't worry if they gulp every now and then. It's pretty normal unless they do it constantly like you explained. Good luck.

That is normal behavior. Remember that warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back