Illness/Sickness: My axolotl Fiyero is dropping its tail

Elphaba

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hello,
these pictures are of my axolotls tail. my other axolotl (ephy) took a little nip about 2 weeks ago. And last week he started dropping the end of his tail. the end of his spinal cord is hanging out now. :/ what should i do to help her, is she going to die??

GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx
GetAttachment.aspx

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH] hope these pics work ( sorry im new to this)

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    232.6 KB · Views: 396
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 374
Ouch!!! First things first, axies are excellent healers, so keep your chin up AND DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!!!
What I may suggest is firstly to put him into the fridge for a bit- it'll help him heal and reduce the chances of fungal infections.
Also, that substrate (Whilst it's still very pretty) really is not suitable for axies on it :( Because axies (Even if you feed them by hand or in a jar or with pellets or whatever) will gulp to eat, to breathe, to be silly etc, anything and everything around its mouth can and will be ingested. The only time gravel should be in a tank is when it is securely bagged to stop them getting at it in a filtration system.
Maybe use it in another tank set up with some guppies and red cherries as treats for your monsters? Play sand from Bunnings at $10/20kg is much better to use, and they quite enjoy it (not to mention you get axie footprints in the sand :D!) or even a bare bottom to your tank. But I'd be getting those pebbles out tonight.
Also, could you give us:
Temperature
pH
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Just in case something's gone strange with your chemistry as well.
Keep your head up!!

Thanks! we are going shoppping for sand today! :)

the ph is around 7
and the local fish store checked the rest and said they were all fine :)

thanks for the advice :love:

This type of injury should definitely be seen by a veterinarian. The tail will most likely need amputation and antibiotics.

Do you have the link to the list of vets, Kaysie (been a while since I went looking for it, and completely lost track of it)? Or even better some instructions Elphaba could take to her local vet/the name of someone who could give her them? Mainly because the number of vets with any kind of caudate (or even amphibian) knowledge in Australia is next to zero. Also, Kaysie- what do you think about salt baths in the meantime?

Elphaba, what you're looking for is what looks like cotton wool, or fluff in general. It can develop very quickly, so you need to keep your eyes out for it. How's he enjoying the fridge? Hopefully that'll keep him stable until you can get him to a vet. Glad you've got the sand- that'll hopefully stop any future problems.

As to your pH, it could maybe come up a bit, axies seem to do best around 7.5, although it's not something that is majorly important to fiddle with at the moment (Just for future reference). Though when you swap in the sand, expect to see a bit of fluctuation in your levels. Also next time you're at the LFS, ask them to write the results of the test down for you.
Keep us informed, and keep your head up!

EDIT Here's the vet list- http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/vets.shtml-Hopefully one of these people will be able to help!

Last edited:
ok we have been putting some ph up in the water and its around 7.5 now :). the tank has black aquarium sand and fiyero's tail is looking good in the fridge, no infection as yet. we tried a salt bath and she started rolling around, looking like it had a seisure or something, shes fine now though. How long should she stay in the fridge for?, the other axie(elphy) is getting lonely!
Also we called the local vet they said they cant do anything for axolotls :( do u recommend any places on the goldcoast, because no-where has anything to do with axies. thanks for all you guys help :happy:

Had a quick look through the vet list- Your best bet's probably at Currumbin Sanctuary (Which shouldn't be TOO far Currumbin Valley Home , and is the most likely to be able to help you. If you can, give them a call first thing tomorrow- be warned it'll be expensive (vets are- but ironically in Australia they are among the lowest paid professionals), but it'll give Fiyero the best go for getting better.
As for transporting him, you can get from either Coles or Kmart large lockable tupperware tubs (5 or 7L) that are BPA free, and I have found them truly invaluable- both as habitats for axies (With lots of java moss and water changing) and as ways of shifting them relatively easily. I'd be wrapping him in towels with ice packs wedged around the container. You also need to show them the pics you've showed us, tell them the water's previous temps, the dimensions, what hides and plants you have in the tank etc.
Got my fingers crossed for you!

My parents say its too expensive to take her to the vet :( ill keep fridging her and putting it in salt baths. if she gets really bad ill try to convince my parents. ill keep you guys updated. hopefully she makes it :)

Keep up the salt baths, the fridging, and hang in there- don't be afraid to leave Fiyero in there for as long as s/he needs. Hopefully he'll pull through without the vet, but keep your eyes out for any white fluff just in case. Post an update tomorrow?

If there is no sign of fungus, I wouldn't do salt baths. I would imagine doing one on an injury like that being quite painful. If you see any fungus, which will look like cotton wool, then it may be needed. Keep her nice and cool and clean offer food daily . I had an axolotl a few years with a similar injury and , I added almond leaves to the water and he healed.

ok. he has been taken out of the fridge and in his own tank again. he is eating heaps and looking good. he got quite skinny in the fridge but he has returned to normal sixe! will post a pic soon :)

Looks (to me at least :p) Like it's starting to heal!
Also, what's the name of that plant? It looks lovely!! (As does the dapper fellow perched in it :D)

thanks! i think fiyeros gonna make it yay! the plant is a plastic aqua one plant as are ally my plants :) thanks for guiding me through my first axolotl truama

Glad to see him on the mend.

One thing to mention - the additive pH booster - - every time you do a water change you will have swings in pH. It it best to let it just be the way your water is. The difference from 7 to 7.5 is very slight. If it was severly off - say a 5 or a 9, I would say look into a permanent effect like crushed coral in the filtration system or adding driftwood.

The little difference is not one worth repeatedly chemically treating the tank every time you change the water.

OK thanks :).... just an update shes stopped eating. The otehr one is eating well but fiyero isnt. we ahve put live fish in the tank. and ive tried feeding him blood worms, beef heart and shrimp, he just ignors me and swimms away. Im not sure what to do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back