Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank set up

aaustin15

Reaction score
Hi! i was just wondering what kind of filter yall think would be best for a 10 or 20 gal tank. i hear good things about canisters? and also what kind of bottom do yall suggest? i want to get a juvenile axolotl.

kaliko22

Reaction score
I have my 7in axie in a 20 gallon tank and bought him the same filter I have for my turtle. Its a 501 canister filter (turtle clean) but it will work for axies too. Keeps his water crystal clear. Still have to remove his poo by either siphoning or turkey baster. It comes with a spray bar, so just point that towards the glass instead of directly onto the water and you're all set. It is completely quiet! Only thing I hear is a very slight trickle of water :) Another awesome thing about them is that they are not crazy expensive (aaprox. $60 at pet store, but found cheaper online, shop around!), and they are good for up to 30 gallons of water in case you upgrade. They are also durable, I went camping for a full weekend, came home and my turtle had knocked his intake off the side of his tank and it was floating. Filter making HORRIBLE noise because it ran dry, and still works! No clue how long it was out of water, but they are good for up to 30 days dry before damage. So now I have 2, One on my 40g turtle tank (only about 25-30g's of water) and the other in my axie tank showing here.

Attachments

• cf2.jpg
    cf2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,104
  • cf3.jpg
    cf3.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 451
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 2,137

kaliko22

Reaction score
oh and for the bottom, i have a bare bottom tank for easy cleaning and I hear that a lot of bad stuff over time can hang in the sand. Sand is the other option, DO NOT USE GRAVEL OR SMALL ROCKS. they will ingest them and become impacted, unable to pass them and will die. or you could take it to a vet and pay a lot for surgery. some use large river rocks, twice the size of their head to ensure that they will not eat them. some axies have taken in a large stone the size if their head and could not swallow it, but could not spit it out either. make sure you do a lot of research about cycling if you have never had one before or ever cycled a tank, this is very important too! there are a lot of discussions on here that help :) if you have had axies before, sorry for giving you too much info lol :eek:

NoahF

Reaction score
I have my 7in axie in a 20 gallon tank and bought him the same filter I have for my turtle. Its a 501 canister filter (turtle clean) but it will work for axies too. Keeps his water crystal clear. Still have to remove his poo by either siphoning or turkey baster. It comes with a spray bar, so just point that towards the glass instead of directly onto the water and you're all set. It is completely quiet! Only thing I hear is a very slight trickle of water :) Another awesome thing about them is that they are not crazy expensive (aaprox. $60 at pet store, but found cheaper online, shop around!), and they are good for up to 30 gallons of water in case you upgrade. They are also durable, I went camping for a full weekend, came home and my turtle had knocked his intake off the side of his tank and it was floating. Filter making HORRIBLE noise because it ran dry, and still works! No clue how long it was out of water, but they are good for up to 30 days dry before damage. So now I have 2, One on my 40g turtle tank (only about 25-30g's of water) and the other in my axie tank showing here.
I was just wondering...where did you get that filter because i cant find one like and was wondering how much it is cause it obviuosly works well your tank looks great!:D

ilomilo

Reaction score
I've seen the previously mentioned turtle filter for sale in Petco, but I'm sure you could find it on amazon.

We're using this hang on 10-20 gallon filter on our ten gallon currently housing our two juvies, but because the water output is so strong and created such a harsh current we've disrupted it with this soap dish filled with a fluval sponge and suction cupped on the back wall of the aquarium, directly under the output of the filter. Our water is crystal clear and there is virtually no current.

Although we also run a sponge filter in conjunction.

Pictures of soap dish in action:

ilomilo-albums-ilo-milo-picture23197-picture-643.jpg

ilomilo-albums-ilo-milo-picture23196-picture-630.jpg

kaliko22

Reaction score
I want to say I got the first one online at 'that pet place' this one at PETCO but more expensive. Its a turtle. Filter so most pet shops sell em. You can Google it and it will give you shopping results. First one I got for $35 plus I think $8 shipping. Second was $60 at PETCO/petsmart. Petsmart did a price match since PETCO was cheaper

shultzbaby

Reaction score
A simple sponge filter running off an aquarium air pump will work fine for a 20 gallon tank, but it won't do much as far as trapping debris. You just have to clean really good when you do water changes, and deal with the noise. I switched to a canister filter and it is nearly silent. I literally have to put my ear up to it to hear it. However without a lot of current its still not going to trap much more debris.

kaliko22

Reaction score
just PLEASE make sure you cycle the tank! I used to have my golden albino in a 15gallon tank with no filter or aeration, and he did awesome. I was never told of the cycling process, so when I decided to move him to a new 20 gallon tank, I added the filter and he became very ill. Lost all of his filaments, would not eat, or go to the bathroom. would usually stand up when he saw me, and it was as if he never knew I was there. no reaction from him, nothing. I was freaked out so contacted the breeder and he said that you only have to cycle the tank with a filter. I had no idea! I moved him back to his old tank and did massive water changes. he now seems to be doing better, eating a tad more and has not thrown up in two days, plus went potty within the first 24 hrs. he even 'saw' me today lol acknowledged me anyway. he ate a little more, and is using his gills more and they have color again. i did complete water changes in his old tank before the move, plus took everything out and washed it and he never got sick, added the filter, and bam! he went down hill fast. so I would never try to cycle again with him, now that I know what cycling is anyway. they say you can as long as your ammonia levels stay at .5 or lower, mine were never above, but he still did not do well. its just risky and made me so paranoid lol not telling you what to do, want you to know that, just at least wanted to share my experience! they are awesome creatures and you'll love em! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1