Question: Breeding season

aaustin15

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ali
Do captive axolotls only breed in certain months or is that only for wild ones?

Most captive axolotls breed in the winter months but they can lay eggs at any time really. I would assume it's the same for wild axolotls but I'm really not sure.

Regards Neil

thank you! i was just wondering because i wanted to get one in early september so i wanted to know if there would be any little guys available at that time.

My pair first bred last winter.

But they've bred twice more over the summer.

So who knows!

axolotls usually only breed twice a year winter, and summer this is beacuase of water temp change. our house are usually hot in the winters because we turn up the heat and cooler in the summer because we turn on the air so the years are opposite . but if u could control the temp in ur tank you could make them breed anytime, for example i got my females rlly fat so they would have alot of eggs inside of them then i turned the temp down with a chiller for a couple of days and i have 300 eggs i only keep 130 and 120 are healthy to this day, they are just developing the back legs

I just got eggs september 1/2012, with no changes to the temperature or light, all I did was move a female into a tank with a male about 3 weeks ago, fed them and got eggs.

Yeah, mine have bred twice more this fall. I don't even try to breed them. It definitely depends on the axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back