Parents

Traxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Travis
Why don't parents like their kids having a collection of sals? my dad asked me the other day why dont you just collect fish instead of sals... PARENTS Y U NO LIKE MY SALS?

:lol::lol: My mum thinks I'm crazy with the amount of tanks i have in my room (3) and a new build currently taking place. As long i take care of everything its alright.

Mine tolerate the caudates....but want me to get rid of the snakes. For some reason it makes me want to get a couple more in the hopes that it increases the number of caudates they can tolerate o_O

Last edited:
Mine tolerate de caudates....but want me to get rid of the snakes. For some reason it makes me want to get a couple more in the hopes that it increases the number of caudates they can tolerate o_O

I thought you were going to say "a couple more in the hopes that it would decrease the number of visits" !!

My parents don't understand me either ..but then they don't live with me. :D

Lol my parents just don't come to visit. I can count on one hand the number of times my mother has stepped foot in my dwelling since I moved out 12 years ago!

My parents don't understand me either ..but then they don't live with me. :D

Lol my parents just don't come to visit. I can count on one hand the number of times my mother has stepped foot in my dwelling since I moved out 12 years ago!

Makes you glad to be all grown up etc eh.;)

My parents actually prefer my frog hobby to when I was a freshwater shrimp hobbyist. :lol: As to fish, their whole attitude was always that you only need one aquarium.

What my parents really struggled to understand was why we had 4 children.... Sometimes I wonder the same. :lol:

Ade

I came home for winter break with seven tanks in tow: one 55, two 20s, a ten, two fives, and a 2.5. My grandmother didn't care. My aunt and uncle just pointed to their collection of some type of item. Considering my uncle has a huge recycled wood pile taking up the whole side of their house, plus his carpentry projects in the garage, and my aunt has half the garage and an entire room in the house for her crafting, my tanks that fit on the floor and two folding tables looked tame in comparison. My mother has over 300 pairs of shoes, most of which are boots and high heels.

To put it succinctly, it helps to be in a family of collectors.

I love this thread... the lament of parents not understanding children, children not understanding parents.

My first word was "kitty", I think that would be the initial clue for my parents. When I was in high school/college, they managed a pet store until they retired. I was in heaven and cheap laobr for my parents. Did they understand anything else that I was into? Probably not, but that's the nature of paren/child dynamic.:eek:

To my mother, any tank filled with anything other than salt water fish is just a waste of time - - she doesn't understand my axolotls or african clawed frogs at all. Nor does she listen to me about proper betta and goldfish care. (Shudder) - After much badgering she finally put the betta in a 2.5 gallon that I bought her and installed a filter and heater, but the poor goldfish that was in a bowl is now in a "matching" 2.5 gallon minus the heater. I keep telling her that the carnival goldfish would be barely passable in my 72 gallon but she insists its fine. sigh

My mum doesn't like me keeping any sort of animal, but then she doesn't like animals being kept in captivity.
I had to use welfare-related arguments to get her to reluctantly accept the animals I have:
Baby fire-bellied newt - I had easy access to a shop selling live daphnia, but my boyfriend didn't
Tadpoles - I had proved that I was the best at raising baby animals
Paddle-tailed newts - I had bought a nice big tank and was working very hard to equip it for paddle-tails, which my boyfriend was apparently keeping until it was ready (in reality, they were already in my room, the old tank cleverly concealed by my untidiness). I had to be firm and say that keeping the paddle-tails were a special project that I wasn't giving up.

She won't allow any mammals to be kept in the house, except my sister's dog. Like the rest of the 'captivity is wrong' brigade, she doesn't understand that domestic dogs are captive just like any other pet.

My parents actually make me pay my own electricity bill because of the amount of UVB's, basking lamps, etc. I have a zoo. I'm only 15 but somehow I manage to find a new animal that I "just HAD to have" every month or so. [Their numbers are multiplying :errr:]
Mine don't understand why I'm in love with reptiles, but they understand the fact that I'm in love with something, and want to pursue it as a lifelong career. It doesn't matter what you're into, as long as you're into something. :D

Mine are mostly afraid of me leaving all of my animals behind when I leave for college, which I understand, as they all hate my birds and no school will allow me to bring them.
Luckily for me though, I've limited my colleges down to ones which have an open fish policy, and I'm going to pretend that that means 'anything which lives in an aquarium'.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back