Chillers?

Cheva

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Wondering about those of you running chillers in your tank.. Im thinking forward to summer and guessing running a chiller is gonna be a heap easier to keep the tank cool then using frozen bottles (as we had a warm day today and found the bottles didnt really last long enough before having to change them, and this is winter, as well as fluctuating temps)

So wondering what kind of chillers your running, pics if possible? trying to get an idea on size and setups ... discovered this Digital Water-chiller Temperature Controller Thermostat 16~36 on ebay and seems incredibly cheap compared to the $190+ ones ive seen for sale. And you know what they say .. "If its to good to be true, it probably is" ...

Any advice greatly appreciated.

yeah a chiller is pretty much a must for summer. from what you linked, that's a thermostat and not a chiller.

start saving, the aqua one chiller I got for my tank set me back a cool $800, but it will cool a tank upto 800L and mine is only 120L. try ebay, gumtree and the like for deals too.

oh really? I wasnt sure as it listed the "Temp cooling range" as well as "Temp Measuring range" but it looks completely different to other coolers ive seen so thought id ask anyway!

Will deffo keep an eye out on gumtree and the likes.

Last edited:
Not sure how many degrees you're looking to lower, but I live in Las Vegas so I'm battling heat for months on end. It gets over 120 degrees outside! I use an Aquatek aquarium fan and it took my tank from 73 to a constant 65. ;)

Not sure how many degrees you're looking to lower, but I live in Las Vegas so I'm battling heat for months on end. It gets over 120 degrees outside! I use an Aquatek aquarium fan and it took my tank from 73 to a constant 65. ;)

I have the same issue. It's as hot as 100 degrees F here and with the help of the Air Conditioner and a small goose neck desk fan, my ten gallon went from 75 to 63 and stays consistently below 65 which is awesome. If I upgrade to a much larger tank eventually I will most likely get a chiller but for now the fan is doing an amazing job with the help of my screen lid which allows for lots of evaporation! I can't afford myself a chiller right now even though I'm sure they are a lot more reliable and easy to use... but for now my desk fan is great!

A chiller is the only way to be certain the tank temp will stay the temp you want in our summers........I got both of my chillers from ebay and a reasonable prices. There is 1 on ebay now but it is for sale in melbourne

We picked up a 1hp hc chiller it was cooling one 6 foot n two 4 foot coral tanks with a sump befor we brought it atm its about to go bck on the 6oot axie tank with anoth two 6 foots to house our new offspring n sump,we got it for $300 thru our lfs staff 2nd hand of course

^^ Did you read the description? It says that it is a temperature controller,so it wont chill.

Chillers will cost you in the hundreds and i think they are relatively hard to find on ebay/ you don't know the quality of the second hand product

Have a look at the sites that tusken posted for you. I got my filter from there and they are good to deal with. The cheapest chiller is around the $300 on there(which is about $150 cheaper than your pet shops)...........Keep an eye on ebay and gumtree you might be lucky to catch a bargin.

Last edited:
If your house has central air conditioning, I've found its very easy to maintain about 20 degrees (celsius) in the tank with just a desk fan. As long as the ambient temperature of the room they're in isn't higher than about 25, you don't have to invest in an expensive chiller - just use fans!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back