Not eating, bloated and bleeding. Help.

Morrison

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Help me please. A few weeks ago I rescued a skinny little axie from a pet store. A few days later he finally started to eat a bit and his belly became more of a belly. A few days ago he stopped eating. I tried to feed him yesterday but he didn't eat as well. Now he looks all bloated. His belly is filled with air, gas or fluid. I don't know, but it's not like air trapped in his stomach but it's outside the internal organs and more behind the skin of his belly. He's also floating and listless. I'm not sure he's going to make it, but are there things to do to 'repair' a bloated axie?
He's in a bare bottom tub. I do (most of the time) daily water changes. I have bad experiences with axies in the fridge, so hopefully there are other solutions.

Oh and he has some little blood like areas, on his leg, belly, base of a gill.

Please let me know what to do. He was doing so well the first days I had him. (Or her...)

A picture would be really helpful. But from what you have written I would suspect a bacterial infection. This will need to be treated by a vet.
I would keep your axolotl cool, I appreciate you may not want to use the fridge, but a lower temperature may help.

He died. I saw him gulping for air the last time and then he just died.

His right back leg is all red (red leg maybe?)

Oh well. I tried to save him but it was too late for him to recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back