Housing idea

Sean90

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
Sean
Have some T. Verrucosus two of which are quite aggressive saw an idea of using a three teir plastic draws tower would this be ok for temporary housing to separate individuals

Maybe. Be sure the drawers are large enough, and be sure to inspect the inside of the unit to make sure they can't escape, or climb from one drawer to another through the inside.

What else have the drawers been used for? Plastic can absorb chemicals and leech them out.

What else have the drawers been used for? Plastic can absorb chemicals and leech them out.

Also, I am a firm believer of not housing them in plastic to begin with as the Salamander can leech chemicals from the plastic, even raw plastic.

And most those 3 drawer towers, the drawers are not very tall.

Check walmart for 10 gallon aquariums, usually price isn't to bad. Or use other plastic toters just for very temp home.

I believe but I may be wrong;

that clear plastics are better, especially compared to the blue tinted ones also if the plastic is PP 5 (or polypropylene) it shouldn't leach stuff.

But this is just my understanding..

Hope someone else can shed more light on this!

I just don't trust plastic much anymore since I've lost 2 batches of Axolotl hatchlings with plastic bins, and as soon as I switched to glass they were all alive and well.
I like the 10-gal idea. I just get mine from dumpsters, garage sales, people's tree lawns, etc. And if you have to buy it, they're like $15 at petsmart.

I use (almost) clear plastic totes from Benny's to raise all hatchlings and have had no mysterious losses. I scrub them with baking soda and use them straight away.

Or, If you cant afford a 10 gallon buy a 50 gallon Tupperware container at a super market, They're usually no more than 10 American $

Are your Verrucoses morphed or still Larvae?
Agressive verrucoses adults tend to be the females ,normaly when food is on the go they are Territorial.I have not had any problems with plastic leeching anything ,and i've used loads of plastic boxes,from poundstrecher's own to Tesco's ADDIS boxes ,seperateing aggressive larvae if the sizes are different is always a good idea

Would be brand new and temporary just until I can move them all together into a bigger tank

I've raised this tylototriton verrucosus to morphing before, and I had 3 small tubs at one point, they grow at different rates. I'd assume they would feed on each other in the wild.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back