Extra Gill?

Dyelon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dylan
My Axolotl is a full grown female and on her right side on her top gill it forks at the end. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, is it normal? I've seen it in a few pictures i just wanted to know more about it.

Attachments

• IMG_4831.jpg
    IMG_4831.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 746
My guess is that her gill was damaged (nibbled by another axolotl or fish) and when it's regenerated, it's grown back with that deformity. My axolotl has two feet that each have an extra toe growing off an existing toe and I just assume that it grew back that way after being eaten!

That's awesome! It's certainly not a problem, but it makes the Axolotl look really cool.

Oh that is how my Alice's started off and look at it now! It causes her no issues and guess it occurred before I had her in the way jessicaanne described :D

Attachments

• IMG01169-20120708-16591341763283745.jpg
    IMG01169-20120708-16591341763283745.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 500
She looks so regal in the first picture. I really like it.

Cool! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should look out for. I do like the way it looks.

I just googled "extra gill" because i just fell in love with a baby lotl at my LFS and he has a forked gill. They have him on hold for me, because i wanted to find out if it was problematic or just aesthetic (i think it looks cool too)

Gonna pick him up after work :)

Cool! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't something I should look out for. I do like the way it looks.

It shouldn't be a problem having a forked gill, it will do the job all the same. I think sometimes they grow unusually if they have had to regrow a gill. Mine has unusual gills on his right hand side. He's perfectly healthy and I think it adds character. :happy:

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 443
My Mario has two forked gills they grew back like that after his tank mate bit them down to stumps:( but he is gorgeous and it gives him extra character i think:D

I have a GFP Wild Type with a forked gill also. He was like that when I got him. It has never seemed to bother him one bit. It looks awesome though.

Attachments

• 2013-04-01 13.35.05.jpg
    2013-04-01 13.35.05.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 428
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back