Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lethargic Axolotl

constellatia

Reaction score
Yesterday I brought home a young axolotl, only 2 inches in length. He's been introduced to my 20 gallon aquarium. Ph is 7.6, all other parameters normal. Water temperature fluctuates slightly between 67 and 68 degrees. I'm not sure if he's just adjusting to his environment, but he doesn't move around very often. He mostly just hides on the bottom, but he has eaten a generous amount of bloodworms. Not sure if this is normal behavior, any ideas?

Paivi

Reaction score
Congratulations on your new family member! What did you name him/her? :happy:

I'm quite new to the axolotls as well, and yours is much younger and smaller than ours were when we got them, but to me your little one's behaviour sounds quite normal.

We have three axies, and they have all done exactly the same when first brought into the new environment. And also, when we've had to reset the tank a bit and move things around. Hiding, sussing it all out, waiting and making sure it's all ok in there. If the water is fine and s/he is eating, then I wouldn't be too worried. Give the little one a day or two to get adjusted, feed as normal and keep the lights down, as they don't like it too bright. Our tank is against the window and during the daylight hours, I don't turn the tank light on at all but let the natural light do its job. And when the sun turns over to this side of the house, I close the block-out curtains behind the tank to stop if from overheating and to keep the bright light out. They seem to like that and move much more, when the light is dimmer than when the full tank light is on (and even that is not the brightest kind, but needed occationally for the plants, or whe we just want to see them at night time).

You can keep an eye on any stress signals, although I cannot help you much there as I'm not sure if they are the same or as visible as in the adult axies. I hope someone with experience on the littler ones can help you with that. But for now, as everything is new to him/her, I'd give him/her a couple of days to adjust before starting to get worried.

All the best to you both! :happy:

constellatia

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply :p It's name is Castle.

Regarding aquarium lighting, I'm not using the lights in the hood so the only light occasionally entering the aquarium is from my bedroom!

DeniseD

Reaction score
Sounds like he's just getting used to his new home. One of ours sat in the same corner for about 3 days when we first got him. He'll start to come around!

constellatia

Reaction score
I attached a photo so anyone could leave their opinion regarding appearance. I think he has a few dust particles on him from the bottom.

The water parameters today were as follows:
Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: .25
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 5.0

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-07-16 at 2.18.14 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-07-16 at 2.18.14 PM.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 390

constellatia

Reaction score
You may want to focus on getting the ammonia and nitrite down. They should be at 0 really.

I'm changing some of the water out frequently. I don't know why they jumped up, they've been at zero for a couple weeks.

constellatia

Reaction score
I added used filter media from one of my cycled tanks to the axie tank to hopefully help share some good bacteria.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1