Question: When to clean larvae?

Minniechild

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Caitie
First, before everyone goes up in arms can I explain? As this is my first time with larvae this young (Molls and co were two weeks old when they came to live with me), I'm a bit lost on the water change front...
My setup at the moment is:
-Approx. 750mL in a 30x30cm cake carrying box (3.5L when filled to the top), upgraded from a 20x15 surface area and approx. 400mL (trying to follow the pics on the forum and not doing as well as I should've...).
-Currently there are 40-ish larvae in there as well as HEAPS of java moss which they love hanging out in.
-I'm feeding bbs, now twice a day, which I have set up in a 6L tank with heater and light (as well as algae tabs), approx. 10mL per feeding when mixed with fresh water (from harvesting and washing following Yellowpebble's amazing tutorial, though accounting for the 6 litres instead of the 1.6L in hers).

Where I'm confused is at what point should the water be changed over with all this taken into account? After each feeding? Or when the amount of brine shrimp added is equal to, let's say, 5% of the water volume? Whilst a water change every day is not not going to happen, I'm rather worried about when/if I should be doing two, especially when (like tonight) I may only be getting 5mL of brine shrimp harvested for the second feeding(I'm still working out what method works best on that front).

Many thanks, Minnie/Caitie (Who can't wait until her darling babies can eat blackworms :D )

In addition to water changes, you may also need to consider cleaning out the inside of the container, as crud and dead bbs can stick to it. Is there any way to clean out the whole container?

What I'm doing is swapping them into another container (same dimensions)- getting that filled up and the Java moss swapped across, and then bastering up each larave, popping them into a chinese soup spoon and using a pipette to suck up any remaining debris- Fortunately, I've got three containers i'm able to cycle between so each can be washed out between uses.
I'm primarily concerned about if I should be doing this entire process after every feeding, especially when the second feeding tends to be not-as-big...

love ur tag, "they're not fiiiishh!!!!" Cannot tell you how many times I keep correcting peeps about Phera lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back